Chapter 2

Hope

6 months later…...

Finally! My bed! I had been called to the pack hospital at two in the morning to help a laboring mama wolf. She had some complications and was bleeding out. Luckily, I got there in time to save both her and her pup. Helping children and new babies was definitely one of the most rewarding parts of my powers. But now the rush of saving lives had worn off and I was ready to go back to sleep. I snuggled down into my pillows and was just about to fall asleep when a light knock sounded on my bedroom door. I groaned and lifted my head slightly, barely opening my eyes.

“What?” I snapped.

“Sorry, sis, but a neighboring pack just had a nasty rogue attack and are asking for your help. We need to get going, it’ll take us a few hours to get there. They’ve already lost a few warriors and don’t want to be defenseless if there’s another attack. They need their wounded healed as soon as possible.” I lifted myself out of bed and grabbed the duffel bag I kept packed for these occasions and headed out to the car.

“Fine, but we’re taking Mom’s SUV then. I want to use those heated seats.” Kade chuckled and grabbed the keys before he followed after me.

“Ok, but it’s your funeral.” I smirked at him and cocked my eyebrow.

“You know she’ll give me whatever I want as long as I’m using my powers.” Kade shook his head as he opened the car door for me.

“You’re not wrong, Hope. You’re not wrong.”

A few hours later the sun was starting to rise, and I woke up from my nap as we reached the other pack’s borders. I sat up in my seat and tried to mentally prepare myself for the blood, gore and the agony of wolves that had just lost loved ones that I was bound to face when we entered the territory. There were two large wolves standing by the only road in. My brother stopped the car and spoke to them before we were motioned in. We pulled up to the packhouse where a man and woman stood waiting for us.

“Alpha Gideon and Luna Farrah” my brother informed me. I simply nodded. We both adopted a sullen demeanor out of respect for this alpha, and what their pack had suffered through.

“Alpha Gideon, Luna Farrah I’m so sorry for the losses your pack has endured.” I bowed my head as I approached them in a sign of respect.

“Thank you for coming on such short notice, Hope. We are so grateful.” I looked up to meet their eyes and shook both of their hands, Kade did as well. They motioned us to the left and we started to walk behind them.

“I will take you to the pack hospital.” The alpha spoke. “My Luna needs to visit the families of fallen pack members.”

“Of course.” I replied. Once we reached the hospital, the pack doctor pointed me to a row of gurneys holding the most injured wolves. I stepped up to the first warrior, he looked huge on the bed, but he wasn’t moving.

“He has broken ribs, a skull fracture, a concussion and likely internal bleeding.” I was informed by the nurse. I nodded and laid both hands on his chest. I focused on my power and let the warmth spread from my hands into his still body. After a few moments, he began to stir. Slowly he opened his eyes and looked at me. They widened with fear at first and, as he began to move, they transitioned to understanding.

“Did you heal me?” He asked with a raspy voice.

“I did.” He took my hand and squeezed it gently.

“Thank you.” I smiled at him and pulled away slowly.

“Thank the Goddess for bestowing me with this gift.”

The rest of the day was spent in the same fashion. I healed everyone I could at the hospital and then went to homes of the less injured wolves that didn’t require going to the hospital. Kade and I were both exhausted by the afternoon.

“Do you mind if we stay here tonight and go home tomorrow? I’m not sure I can drive back tonight without falling asleep.” One look in my brother’s eyes and I knew he was telling the truth.

“Fine, but we have to be back early. My party’s tomorrow night and I need time to get ready.” Kade slung his arm over my shoulder and pulled me into a side hug.

“How could I forget about my little sister turning eighteen? Are you excited to hopefully find your mate?” He smiled down at me.

“Excited? Nervous? Terrified? All of the above.” I shrugged.

“Why would you be nervous?” He asked.

“What if he doesn’t want the responsibility of protecting a healer? What if I’m not good enough?”

Kade stopped me and turned me to face him, placing his hands on my shoulders and forcing me to make eye contact with him before speaking.

“The Moon Goddess would not pair you with someone who won’t protect you. And all that other stuff about you not being good enough is bullshit. Any guy would be lucky to have you.” I gave him a small smile and quiet thank you before continuing our walk.

“How about we go out tonight, huh? Get your mind off of things?”

“Go out where?” I asked.

“This pack has a small bar not too far from the packhouse. Could be fun.” I smiled up at him.

“Sure, Kade. Thanks.”

After dinner, a shower and a fresh set of clothes we stepped into the small bar. It was clean and bright, with tons of TVs on the wall with all different sports games on, a random deer head in one corner and neon signs for all different kinds of beers on the wall. We were both looking around for somewhere to sit when Kade yelled across the room, causing me to flinch.

“Holy shit! Connor? Is that you?” He started off in the direction of a large man sitting at the bar, leaving me to follow behind.