Chapter 21

Connor

"Give him morphine and food." I bark at Mark and he nods as I race out of the door and up to the first floor. I knock on the door Hope and the guys are in.

"Code word." Kade calls out.

'Marshmallow.' I link him and he opens the door.

My eyes flit around the room until they land on Hope. I can't help but be relieved to see her looking back at me, even if there's concern etched across her adorable forehead.

"What's wrong, baby?" She asks and I stride across the room to her. I lift her in my arms and sit in her chair with her in my lap, my arms around her tightly breathing in her scent like it's the oxygen I need to survive.

"Asher." I say. "I think it's Asher." Kade and Hope both gasp.

"Who's Asher?" Dean asks and Kade walks up to him.

"The future alpha of our old pack. Now that you say it, it makes so much sense. He was obsessed with Hope." Kade says and I nod.

"And what he said at your birthday party. 'I'll be happy. You'll see.'" I say and Hope looks up at me with terrified eyes.

"I always knew he was crazy but this seems a little much, even for him." Hope says snuggling into my chest. I tighten my arms around her and kiss her head.

"The rogue says he wants to... breed with you." I say with disgust. "To make strong pups." Kade and Dean both growl while Hope begins to shake.

"Don't worry, Hope. We won't let anything happen to you." Dean says putting a hand on Kade's shoulder trying to settle him down. He's breathing heavy like his wolf wants to come out.

"What do we do?" Kade asks and I take a few deep breaths.

"I need some kind of proof." I say. "I can't kill another future alpha without it." I explain and he nods in agreement.

"I'll talk to my dad. Maybe he can find something. That pack is more loyal to him than Asher. Most people can't stand the little prick." Kade says.

"Have you told him you're leaving the pack?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"Not yet."

"When we get back, I'll call him and tell him. I want to see what his reaction is." I say and they all agree.

I carry Hope back to our house. Even her mind is quiet and she snuggles into me likes she's cold. I lean down to kiss her cheek.

'It'll be ok.' I link her and she looks up at me and nods.

'I know. I just can't believe it. I've never really liked Asher, I just can't believe he'd do something so disgusting.'

I sigh heavily and tighten my hold on her, lifting her to my neck so she can calm herself with my scent. It seems to work a little, but I can tell she is still on edge. When we get back I put Hope in the theater room with Kade and Dean. I tuck her in with a blanket and she smiles at me.

"I'm not a baby." She teases and I chuckle kissing her gently.

"It makes me feel good to take care of you. Get used to it." I shrug and she giggles.

"Oh, I could definitely get used to it." I kiss her again and leave her to argue with Kade about what movie to watch as I shut the door to my office.

I take a few deep breaths to steady my anger before I call Asher. I don't want him to know that I suspect him. I dial the number and he answers on the third ring.

"Alpha Asher." He says and my skin crawls at just his voice. My wolf wants to growl at him, but I bite it back.

"Asher, it's Connor O'Leary." A brief silence on the other end tells me he's surprised by my call.