Chapter 29

Connor

"You feel it, don't you Hope? The power coursing through you."

She has to, even I can feel it through our bond. It's like a constant humming, a tool just sitting there waiting to be used, always accessible just at her fingertips. I just need to figure out how to get her to lock onto it and call it forward at will.

"Yeah, I feel it. I just don't know how to control it." She says, her eyes forming tears that I know are from frustration. I put my hands on her shoulders and squeeze them gently and she looks up at me with those beautiful blue eyes and I just want to take her inside and tuck her into bed, to keep her warm and safe.

But that isn't the world we live in. In our world, she is a target and she is my weakness. I need her to be strong and sure of herself.

"We'll figure it out. I'm here for you. I'll be here every step of the way. Just try to project it, baby. Imagine it as a tangible thing. Like an actual shield and push it outwards." I say and her tears disappear, replaced by a look of firm resolve.

"Ok." She says nodding as her face contorts into concentration and her body takes a defensive stance. She closes her eyes and her body begins to shake with effort. A few moments later, I feel my body engulfed with a soothing warmth, like a blanket. I smile as my excitement grows.

"I think you're doing it, Hope. Dean! Get out here!" I yell and Hope's eyes snap open as the warmth dissipates.

"No, Connor. Not again." She begs and I hold her cheeks in my palms.

"It's ok. I'm not gonna have him wail on me like last time. Just see of I'm right and it's working." I say and she nods, but still looks concerned.

My sweet girl, worried about her big bad alpha. God I'm lucky.

"You need another ass whoopin?" Dean asks as he flounces down the stairs in nothing but a loose pair of shorts smelling like Kade. I wrinkle my nose making him chuckle.

"Seriously?" I ask and he shrugs.

"The blatant display of masculine superiority I played over you earlier turned my baby on. What he wants, he gets." Dean says unapologetically as he walks towards me.

"At least one of us is getting it." Hope says with a pout, crossing her arms in front of her chest and Dean chuckles. I roll my eyes at the two of them.

"There's more important things to worry about right now than sex." I say and they both gasp. Even Kade walks out from the house, sitting down on the patio chair carefully.

"Lies!" He yells making Hope and Dean laugh. I clear my throat and let a little Alpha aura out. It won't work on Hope and barely works on Dean and Kade, but it should be enough to get them to focus.

"OK, Hope. Try it again." She nods and her face scrunches as she concentrates. Soon, the warm feeling floods over me again and I nod to Dean.

"Try to swipe me with your claws." I tell him and one hand shifts. It slips across my chest, gliding off of me like it hit nothing but air.

Dean's mouth gapes in astonishment as he looks at Hope. Kade's chest puffs up in pride and I smile at Hope.

"That's what I'm talking about!" I shout as I scoop her up in my arms and swing her from side to side. She squeals in joy and Kade comes down to join us.

"OK. Again."

After a few more hours of practice I can tell that Hope is exhausted. My mom pulled us away briefly for one last fitting of our outfits for the ceremonies. I can tell she is still irritated by me making us move them sooner, but afterward I plan to explain it to her because while my mom is incredibly sweet, she also does revenge better than anyone. After our fittings I carry Hope home and she nearly falls asleep in my arms.