Chapter 38

Hope

Leon snarls at my insult, but I don't back down, refusing to lower my eyes in submission.

"Your disrespect will not be tolerated, little one." He says his face twisting in anger as his hands clench in fists. Connor growls next to me and I see his claws poke through as he attempts to hold off the shift. I reach a hand out to his arm, rubbing him gently. The action soothes him and he's able to retract his claws.

"You need to listen to her. Not just for yourself, but for our kind. She is essential to our survival." Connor says, his voice amazingly calm. I see Leon take a deep breath and close his eyes. When he reopens them, he is obviously calmer.

"Please explain to me why the Moon Goddess bestowed these gifts upon you." He says through gritted teeth and thinly veiled annoyance.

"For many reasons. Healers have been mistreated and abused for centuries." I explain. "Taken from our mates, kept in cages, used as weapons and bred against our will even though healers rarely pass the gene on to their pups. She got tired of it. Healers are a gift. A calming presence in the world to soothe pain, to help packs heal not just physically, but emotionally as well. You basically spat on her gift. People like you, men who think they have power and dominion over others, have hoarded our gifts and used them for selfish gain for far too long. The time has come for healers to come out of hiding. For us to be allowed to use our gifts to their strength. To save lives, to help people and packs heal. I have the power to change how the world views healers. How you treat us. And I plan to do that. So you can either get out of my way, or I will go through you." I say passionately as Connor looks at me with awe across his face. Kade licks my cheek, making me giggle before my hard gaze returns to Leon. He scoffs with annoyance and crosses his arms.

"What do you expect, girl? For us to bow at your feet? For us to worship you? Do you want to be treated like a queen? A sweet little princess, who's every whim must be catered to." He asks and I shake my head.

"No. Of course not. I would never ask that. All I want is to live in peace with my mate. To use my powers without fear of being taking advantage of. I want a fucking vacation!" I shout stomping my foot making Connor chuckle before he kisses my temple and wraps an arm around my waist.

"I told you, I'll take you somewhere with sand and sun. We will relax, I promise." He says making me smile. Leon narrows his eyes at the exchange.

"How can we be sure of this?" He asks skeptically and I furrow my brows in confusion.

"Be sure of what?" I ask and he waves his hand between Connor and I.

"That this is what you want. Peace, quiet, safety?" He says and I roll my eyes, physically unable to stop myself and I hear my dad huff.

He hates when I do that.

"I guess there's no way to prove it to you. You have to trust me. But if I wanted anything else, I wouldn't be standing here today. I could have hidden myself away, hoarded my gifts. But I didn't. I shared them. That's how I met Connor, so I will never regret my decision, but I refuse to live in fear because of it." I shrug and Connor senses the change in the council before pushing me behind him and taking a protective stance. I feel rather than hear his chest rumble with a warning and my heart rate begins to skyrocket.

"So you want us to just pretend we don't know what you are? What you're capable of? I'm not sure we can do that, little one." Leon says with a sneer. "One wolf having so much power? It's dangerous. Especially a woman. You are all so... sensitive. More likely to be ruled by your emotions. We can't have you going on a tear every time your mate pisses you off." He says.

Connor lets out a feral snarl as the rest of the wolves follow suit.

"You say one more shit thing about my mate and I will rip your head from your body Leon." Connor spits his name like an insult and despite my fear, my heart warms at the sentiment.

"That would not be wise, pup. We may be old, but we council members are spry. You do not want a fight with us." He says with a sickening smile. "Now, whatever shall we do about this situation?" He says as he begins to pace and puts his finger to his chin, as if deep in thought. Connor growls again and I see my father's composure begin to slip, his lip curled up over his canines as he barely holds back a snarl. I see him crouch, ready to pounce when need be.

"There is only one thing to do. You all leave and allow us to live our lives." Connor says and Leon chuckles at him.

"If you think we are just going to leave, you are mistaken. The original plan had been for you to come with us and, even though we don't like it, we will take the girl. We will keep her safe and she can use her powers as we see fit. You can give up your alpha position and come with as well. We wouldn't want to separate mates. But make no mistake. We will if you force us." He says, his eyes darken and there is a clear threat in his tone that Connor does not appreciate.

"You will not touch a single hair on Hope's head. She is not going anywhere with you. Not today and not ever." He says, his arms sprouting fur.

"You've made it clear you have no intention of respecting the gifts the Goddess has given me. You will use me against my will, against her will, for your own selfish gain despite what we say. If you think for one moment that I will go willingly you are delusional." I say angrily, the rage inside me burning. I strengthen the shield around our wolves, knowing that this will likely end in blood shed.

"You will do as we say, and in return we will protect you. Provide for you, allow you access to your mate. We will not breed you or loan you out to the highest bidder. It would be a charmed life, for sure. You would want for nothing." Leon says, trying to make it seem like I would be a fool to not accept his offer. I scoff in response and cross my arms.

"Yes, I would want for nothing. But my freedom. I am done being a prisoner. This is your last chance. Turn and leave us in peace, or you won't be leaving." I say firmly narrowing my eyes.

Connor shifts next to me into his large black wolf. The eyes of the council widen at his size and the aura pouring off of him. A few of them look ready to submit. Connor growls so loudly the leaves rustle in the trees. Two of the council members shift, but Leon puts a hand up to stop their advance and walks towards me. Connor snarls with every step he takes until he snaps his jaws at him, his teeth clicking together, and Leon stops.

"Please don't make us kill you." He says, eyes pleading. "You would be such an asset to us. Just think of how safe and happy you could be, your pack would be safer as well, not having a Luna that everyone is trying to gain control of. You're smart, sensible. I know you can see reason." He says giving me a warm smile. I smile in return and take a deep breath, as if considering his offer.

'We're going with Draven's plan.' I mind link our group and receive approving growls in return.

"No, Leon. Please don't make us kill you." I say with a sly smile. He narrows his eyes at me and one of his wolves pounces forward.

He attempts to lock his jaw around Connor's neck, but slides right off. He tries again, trying to sink his teeth into the fur over his windpipe. Leon watches with confusion, me never dropping smile.

"Oh yeah. Did I forget to tell you about that? I'm a shield too." I say with giddy laughter.