Chapter 31

Hope

I could feel the tension through our bond. The anxiety. The fear. But looking at Connor I could see nothing but a calm, collected Alpha. He's barking orders to the pack and to the warriors. My dad and brother flank me, waiting for instructions.

"Dad, you can't fight against your own pack." I tell him staring at him with wide eyes. His posture is firm, mouth set in a grimace. That only means one thing. He's made up his mind and I know there's no changing it.

"No pack is worth my daughter. I will fight them to my last breath to protect you, your brother and your pack." He says kissing my head. Connor nods at him in appreciation before he grabs my hands.

"Go to the house. Wait for me there." My eyes go wide and panic strikes me.

"No!" I shout gripping his hands as he goes to pull away. "I need to be there. I need to heal and shield. I know I haven't practiced my alpha commands yet, but maybe I can draw onto them. You need me there, Connor. Do not leave me behind. We are a team. You promised." I tell him with narrowed eyes. I see the guilt and frustration on his face. He knows I'm right, but his fear of losing me is greater than his fear of me being mad at him.

"Hope..." he implores, but I cut him off.

"No. I said I would never make you submit to me, but I'm tempted to right now." I say as my dad and brother visibly stiffen and show their necks to me. Connor's wide surprised eyes take in the scene. I look over and realize what I'm doing before I pull back and they can relax again. Connor sighs heavily, running his hands through his once perfectly placed hair.

"OK. But stay next to me." I nod and all three men shift. I climb on Connor's back and he takes off.

The closer we get to the battle, the louder the sounds of fighting become. Growls, teeth gnashing and howls ring through the air making my sensitive ears hurt. We run past one of our warriors, he's gravely injured, dying I'm sure. I go to get off Connor but he growls at me and keeps running. I know better than to argue, but the sight of my fallen pack member tears me apart.

I had started to consider a couple of days ago that if I can project my shield, maybe I could project my healing as well. I hadn't had a chance to practice it, but figure it couldn't hurt to try.

I focus on the warrior and his wounds. I close my eyes tightly and will my magic towards him. I feel my hands heat up and excitement courses through me.

'What are you doing?' Connor asks through our link.

'Projecting my healing powers.' I tell him.

I look back at the warrior as he stands cautiously, patting his skin that was previously torn and oozing blood.

Not a scratch on him.

He shifts and returns to the fight.

'You never cease to amaze me.' Connor says affectionately and I lean down to kiss his head.

We arrive at the heart of the battle. I'm tempted to shift, but I've never used my powers in wolf form before and don't think right now is a good time to test that. I climb off Connor, only to be encircled by him, my dad and my brother. I look around at the fighting around me and project my shield to every pack member I can reach. It encompasses about ten warriors who easily take down their targets without a claw being laid on them.

'It's working' Kade exclaims.

'Excellent work, Hope.' My dad says. Connor licks my cheek, but I stay focused on my shield.

Even though the few wolves close to me are safe, too many of our pack members are falling. I heal those I can, but my powers have never been tested like this and my energy is quickly failing. All of a sudden I see a familiar wolf, dirty brown with piercing eyes.

Asher.

My blood boils at the sight, all of our fears and suspicions confirmed. I feel a rage unlike anything I have before. This egotistical wolf dare come to my pack, kill my people all so he can kidnap me and hold me against my will?

No.

I am healer. Hear me roar.

I growl, a sound I've never made let alone in my human form, and feel the alpha aura pouring off of me. Every wolf in the vicinity but Connor drops to their bellies and whines. Asher looks around confused as the fighting stops. I let my anger continue to fuel my power, making it stronger. I start walking towards him, Connor following at my side. I reach out and twine my fingers in his fur, hold on to him for strength and reassurance.

Asher finally sees me and takes off towards me, only to be hit head on with my alpha power. He whines and tries to fight it. I'm only ten feet away from him when I speak.

"Submit!" I yell to him and hit him with another dose of power. He whines again and lowers himself to his belly before baring his neck to me. A cruel smirk forms on my face and Connor huffs in approval at the scene before him. I continue to keep my distance, but Asher won't be getting off easy.

Not at all.

"Shift!" I yell at him. He starts to thrash, attempting not to obey my command. I know he will only be able to hold off for so long, but he doesn't.

"I said shift!" I yell again and his skin begins to ripple as he changes back into his human form.

"How the hell did you do that?" He grits through his clenched teeth. Connor snarls at him, but I run my fingers through his fur to soothe him.

"That is none of your concern. Now, why have you attacked our pack? Killed our people?" I ask him and he scoffs.

"You and I both know you don't belong here. I came to bring you home. You are meant to be with me. I'm saving you." He says and Connor swipes a paw at his face, leaving gashes down his cheek.

"Baby, now he won't be able to talk. You should have aimed for the chest." I say before healing his face. Connor leaps forward again, dragging his claws down Asher’s chest. He can do nothing to defend himself, only watch as the much larger wolf rips his skin to shreds. He screams in agony and I smirk at him.

"I told you, Asher. You should have waited for your mate. She could have made you happy. I never belonged to you. You were not worthy. Connor was." Asher scoffs and narrows his eyes at me.

"That's bull shit and we both know it. Nothing makes him more worthy than me." He says his tone dripping with disdain.

"Asher, I was not assigned a mate at birth. My mate had to prove himself worthy. The Moon Goddess explained it herself. So no. You were never going to be my mate. Now you will never experience a mate bond." I say almost a little sadly. Even though I think his mate may be better off without him.

"I met my mate months ago." He sneers at me and I gasp in shock.

"Then why the hell won't you leave me alone?!" I shout and he chuckles darkly.

"I rejected her the moment I met her. She was nothing special, not fit to be a Luna. And not nearly as great a prize as you. To think how powerful our pups could be. A dynasty to keep our pack in power for generations to come. Think of it, Hope. Your home, your pack. You could lead at my side, our pups would be unstoppable." My nose crinkles in disgust as wave after wave of nausea hits me.

"Asher. You're insane. I love Connor. He is my mate and this is my pack. I would never NEVER choose you over him. I would have chosen him blind over you. You don't deserve me or your pack." I stop to think for a moment, pacing back and forth as Connor waits patiently for my next move. I smile at him and kiss his snout, making Asher snarl.

'Are you done talking to him?' Connor asks and I nod. He lunges forward to strike him in the jaw, easily breaking the bone. Asher cries out in agony, but I don't heal him this time.

That's a small dose of the pain he's caused our pack.

"What are we going to do with you?" I muse out loud. I pace a few more times before I hear Connor's bones snapping and he shifts back to human. I try to keep my eyes off of his body, even though it's glistening with sweat and my eyes want to devour every inch of my beautiful mate. He notices my struggle and smirks, but his eyes darken as he turns to Asher and crosses his arms over his chest.

"I have a few ideas." He murmurs.