Chapter 32

Hope

Connor escorted Asher to the cells and met us back in his office at the packhouse after I had finished healing everyone I could. We didn't have many losses, but the grief still affected us. Connor would make sure Asher paid for the damage he caused.

"Technically, you're Alpha of your old pack now. " Connor says pulling me onto his lap.  I rest my head on his shoulder and try to keep my eyes open. Using so much of my power drained me as well as experiencing the loss of pack members.

"I don't want to be alpha of that pack." I say tiredly but honestly. We have enough to deal with without adding in a pack that is hours away.

"We could combine the packs." Dean suggests but I shake my head.

"I would feel guilty forcing all of those people to uproot their lives to move here." I say. Connor kisses my temple and I lean into his warm embrace.

"Who is Asher’s beta?" Connor asks.

"Jon Cosgrove. He's a good wolf. Almost as strong physically as Asher. He was always the nice one, more willing to see reason as well." Kade says and Connor nods and looks to me.

"It's up to you, Hope. You're the one that overpowered the alpha." He says and I sigh, playing with the hair on his neck. I appreciate him letting me make this decision, but part of me wants to let someone else make it.

"I think Jon would be a good choice for alpha. What do you think, dad?" I ask my father who has been quiet and contemplative. Typical head warrior.

"I think he'd be an excellent choice, baby. We wanted him for alpha anyway but Asher was too proud to admit he couldn't hack it. It's the right outcome, I just wish we hadn't had to go through this to get it." He says gravely and we all nod in agreement.

"Do you want to tell him, Hope?" Connor asks gently and I shake my head.

"Not right now. I'm so tired, Connor." I say looking up at him with pleading eyes. He nods in understanding and kisses my forehead before standing and carrying me.

"Dean, will you and Kade talk to Jon? We'll talk to him again before he leaves but I don't want their pack worrying about their future any longer than necessary." Connor says. Dean and Kade nod and stand to head out.

"Where are you going?" Dean asks.

"I'm going to tuck Hope into bed. Stop by the house after you talk to Jon and let me know how it goes. I'd like the two of you to stay with us for a couple more days just to make sure things settle down, then we'll get you moved into the beta house."

"Yes, Alpha." They both respond.

"Wait!" My dad calls to Connor.

"Can I carry her? This was a hard day for this old man." My dad says and Connor smiles at him. I hold my arms out and wrap them around my dads neck just like when I was younger.

"I'm so proud of you, baby." He tells me kissing the tip of my nose making me giggle.

"I'm glad you and mom will be staying here. It's like we're complete." I say sleepily while yawning. My dad chuckles and nods.

"We're happy to be able to keep an eye on you and Kade. I'm sure this isn't the first dose of trouble you two will find yourselves in." He says affectionately and Connor can't stop his laughter.

"I'm glad to have another wolf to help me protect Hope. Your girl is a handful." Connor says making my dad laugh in response.

"You're preaching to the choir." He says as we reach our house. He puts me down and I pull him into a tight hug.