Chapter 16

Hope

Connor hadn’t spoken a word since the dungeons. He picked me up and carried me home, then tucked me into bed. He climbed in behind me and held me close, but neither one of us could sleep. I desperately wanted to break the silence but had no clue what to say. I was scared, but I didn’t want him to know. I had always known that I was a target. I had just never experienced a direct threat before. Connor must have heard my heart rate jump because he tightened his hold on me and placed a long kiss on my forehead. I could feel his anxiety and concern, but the overwhelming emotion rolling off of him was rage. I could nearly taste it, bitter on my tongue.

“I refuse to let anyone hurt you or take you from me. Do you understand?” His voice was low, but full of power and promise.

“I trust you Connor.” I looked up into his eyes. They were fierce and certain. This was the first time I felt the true Alpha power radiating off of him and through our bond. It made me feel strong and powerful. Invincible almost.

“You are not leaving my side until this threat has been neutralized. I’m going to call Kade tomorrow and see if he can come for a while. I would feel better with someone both of us trust along with Draven helping to guard you.” He gave me a look as if daring me to question his decisions. Normally I would protest the need for such extensive measures, but I knew better than to defy him on this.

I hated the visible tension in his body. Even though he was laying down, his body was rigid as a board. I could nearly feel the rope strung throughout his body, pulled taut and threatening to snap. I reached up to cup his face in both my hands and leaned forward to kiss him gently. He began to melt into me, so I moved my hands to his shoulders and massaged the knots I could feel beneath my fingers. I kissed him again, deeper and more needy until I pulled away for oxygen and looked into his eyes. They were clearer now, not as fogged with this anger.

“I will do whatever you say. The Goddess chose you to protect me. I trust you know the best way to do that. I’m sure Kade misses me already anyway.” I giggled to try and lighten the mood. Connor gave me tight smile and sighed deeply. I pulled him down on top of me, so his head was resting on my chest and I traced gentle circles along his back. I felt his chest purr in contentment and couldn’t stop the smile on my face. Slowly, he began to relax into me. I ran my fingers through his hair over and over again, until I finally heard his gentle snoring.

I woke up the next morning, trying to stay suspended in that short moment where everything is bliss and you can’t remember anything but the good things. My pillow was warm, and I nuzzled into it, trying to hold on to that sweet nothing. Until my pillow growled a little and I realized it was Connor. I looked up at him and gave him a sheepish smile. It was clear he hadn’t gotten much sleep. There were dark circles under his eyes and, even though he smiled back, it didn’t seem bright or genuine like I had become accustomed to.

“Baby, did you get any sleep at night?” I questioned him as I pushed myself up to a seated position next to him. He lowered his head into my lap and wrapped his arms around my waist. It was so endearing I nearly forgot my question.

“I tried, sweetheart. I really did, but every sound I heard had me on high alert. I already called Kade, he should be here this afternoon. I think that’ll help.” I nodded and ran my fingers through his hair. I felt a gentle purr through his chest, and he closed his eyes.

“We need to get up.” He slurred.

“No, you need to stay in this bed and get some sleep. You’re of no use to anyone if you’re so tired you’re practically drunk.”

“We have things to get done, love.”

“Have Draven and your mom come here. Draven can guard the house while your mom and I plan the ceremonies. Once Kade gets here, you all can talk about a game plan for the threat. Until something else happens we are going to continue living our lives as normal. I refuse to become a recluse and live in fear.” Connor looked up at me and all I could see in his eyes was pride.

“You’re a Luna already.” He smiled and kissed my cheek. “Alright, have it your way stóirín. I’ll mind link Draven and mom. But until they get here it’s just you, me and this bed.”

He gave me a mischievous smile and pulled me down by my waist until I was fully under him. He rolled on top of me and caught my lips in a hard kiss before I knew what was happening. He lifted both of my hands and held them over my head with one of his while the other one explored my body. He snuck his hand under the t shirt I had worn to bed the night before and skimmed just the tip of his fingers along the smooth skin of my side, causing goosebumps to erupt all over my body. I couldn’t stop the quiet moan that escaped between our kisses.

He groaned in response as his lips moved down to my mark where he kissed and ran his tongue over. The feeling caused an eruption of pleasure through my whole body, eliciting another, louder moan from me.

“God stóirín. The noises you make.” He thrusted his hips, causing his hardness to rub against my sensitive clit. His hand continued upwards, cupping my breast and twirling my nipple between his fingers.

“Connor, please.” I whined while rotating my hips, trying desperately to get the needed pressure from him.

“Oh, sweet girl, don’t worry I’ll take care of you. Just not right now.” At that exact moment the doorbell rang. “Because my mom’s here and I don’t think she wants to hear you moaning my name.” he whispered into my ear. I let out a groan of frustration, louder than I intended as Connor rolled off of me chuckling.

“I’ll get you for this!” I yelled at him as he walked into the bathroom still laughing.

I put on more presentable clothes and bounded down to the living room where Connor’s mom had already set up with a laptop and what looked like fabric swatches.

“Hope! Good morning darling! It’s so good to see you! I would have stopped by yesterday, but Connor made it pretty clear you two were not to be disturbed.” She gave me a knowing grin and I felt a blush creep up my face.

“You could have come by, Luna. You wouldn’t have interrupted anything.” My voice sounded an octave higher for some reason, but I tried to let it go.

“Please, sweetie. Call me Farrah. We’ll be family soon.” She pulled me into a hug, and it reminded me so much of my own mom I could have cried right then. But Connor came down, so I managed to get myself together. He hugged his mom and said hello before going out to make sure Draven was on guard.

“I’m gonna go back up to bed and try to catch up on some sleep. You girls don’t get into too much trouble now, ok?” I smiled sweetly and gave him a chaste kiss before pushing him up the stairs.

“Don’t worry, we’ll try to keep it simple. Farrah, how do you think Connor would look in a pink tux?” I asked innocently.

“Oh, dashing, Hope. He would look absolutely dashing.” We cackled maniacally as Connor glared at us from the top of the stairs.

Payback's a bitch.