Chapter 39

Hope

The look of pure terror on Leon's face would have been delicious if I weren't such a kind wolf. I hate fighting, violence and death. But this, this is necessary. This is killed or be killed. This is the difference between carrying out the destiny the Moon Goddess intended for me or ending up in a life of servitude.

That would be unacceptable.

I let my aura pour out of me, strengthened by my anger and firm resolve. I could see the wolves of the council struggling. They could fight all they wanted.

They would submit.

Power was never something I thirsted for. I am a content wolf. A simple wolf. But right now, seeing these men who thought themselves invincible fall before me.

This power feels good.

Too good.

I pull back for a moment, to remind myself why I'm doing this. Who I'm doing it for. I don't want the power to consume me. To corrupt me. Vengeance is a petty thing and I refuse to lose my humanity over it.

The wolves in front of me submit, as I knew they would. They practically suffocate under my aura. They are trapped on their knees. All they can do is await their fate.

And what an unfortunate fate it will be.

"Really, Leon. I should be thanking you." I say as I circle him. "Thanks to your stunt, every wolf on this earth will know not to mess with me once they hear how we took down the Werewolf Council. We may add some flare to the story, you know for posterity. But we will make your deaths quick and as painless as possible. Well, most of you. I'm sure my mate will take his time with you, Leon." I say and am met with a growl of approval from Connor. It feels like a warm caress across my body making sparks soar over me. I'm grateful this is almost over. I'm ready to be alone with him again.

Connor begins to toy with Leon, snapping at him, nipping at him, drawing blood but nothing too deep. His claws rake across Leon's chest and he cries out in pain while his cohorts grimace and quake in fear.

"It's amazing you managed to piss him off so thoroughly in such a short amount of time." I muse. "Connor is normally incredibly even headed. His temper, almost non existent. Well, not when it comes to me I guess. When it comes to me, he will kill without a second thought." I say and Connor howls in agreement, tearing Leon's arm from his body.

He cries out in agony making me grimace. I go stand next to my dad, his large body shielding me from the gory act that my mate is committing in my honor. I don't need it, but I know his wolf won't rest until he's vindicated me, until his proven his strength and dominance. He's setting the example of what happens when you dare to challenge his mate. Our warriors watch in awe as their Alpha tears the man apart, just slow enough that his wolf has time to heal him to keep him from dying, but not enough that he doesn't feel the pain. Eventually, Leon fades from blood loss. Connor picks up his hand and brings a hand as a kind of trophy, his wolf showing that he can protect me. I smile and run my hand over his head.

The other wolves of the council are quickly dispatched of. I released them from their submission, as the boys wanted a chance to practice their fighting skills. The older wolves really stood no chance against our pack, even without using any of my gifts. It was clear they had coasted on their reputation for far too long and had no right to claim supremecy over any wolf. A surreal feeling of relief floods over me as the last wolf is finished. It's quickly replaced with unease. Everyone shifts back to their skin, pulling on shorts and congratulating each other.

Connor rushes to me, pulling me tightly into his arms inadvertently smearing me with Leon's blood.

"What's wrong, Hope?" He asks pulling away to search my face. My eyes lock on his emerald orbs and a surge of affection runs through me. He feels it and smiles, before leaning over to kiss me firmly.