Chapter 15

Hope   

I had just dozed off when I felt Connor shaking me gently.

“Hope. I need you to wake up, sweetheart.” I groaned and peeked an eye open at him.

“You had better have a good god damn reason for this Connor Patrick O’Leary or I will bite you.” He chuckled and kissed my cheek.

“Ooh, feisty. I like it. You can bite me anytime, love. But we got something out of the rogues, and I need to go to the dungeons. You need to go with me.” I furrowed my brow at him and huffed in annoyance.

“Why do I need to go? Send Draven to babysit me and let me go back to sleep. He can lay at the end of the bed in wolf form like a good puppy even.”

“I need you with me Hope. I’m not letting you out of my sight until I know what’s going on.” I sighed deeply and forced myself out of the warm, comfy bed.

“Fine but I’m not putting on a bra.” Connor growled at the idea and I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Just give me one of your hoodies. No one will notice.” He rolled his eyes and threw me the dark green hoodie he had just worn that day. Obviously, he needed even more of his scent on me.

‘Why doesn’t he just pee on me?’

‘Why don’t you just bone him?’ My wolf responded.

‘You’re such a perv. Get your shit together.’

‘The only things I want together are his dick and our vagina.’

I rolled my eyes at her and pushed her to the back of my mind.

I was about to descend the stairs when Connor scooped me up to carry me. Normally I would protest, but I was too tired so I rested my head on the crook of his elbow and allowed the gentle swaying of his arms to lull me into a catatonic state, not quite asleep but definitely not fully awake.

“You’re my favorite.” I murmured to him.

“Favorite what?” He asked with amused curiosity.

“Person.” I said with a wide yawn. He chuckled and nuzzled his nose into my hair.

“You’re my favorite too, stóirín.” I smiled lazily with my eyes still closed.

“You really think I’m a little treasure?” I could feel his smile against my temple as he placed a gentle kiss.

“No. You’re a huge treasure. The greatest gift I have ever been given.”

I peeked my eyes open. It was still dark, but I could see Connor in the moonlight. The harsh shadows accentuated his sharp jawline and his green eyes looked darker than usual. I reached up to run my hand along his cheek and leaned in to inhale his scent. The corresponding smile he gave me knocked the wind out of my chest. It was that moment I knew I was in love with him. Completely, totally, unapologetically in love with him. The revelation rendered me speechless so rather than say something weird or totally awkward, I gave him a shy smile and snuggled back into his arms.

Much too soon Connor came to a stop in front of a small brown hut that looked like the roof was nearly falling off. It looked like something you would put pool floaties in.

“This is the dungeons?” I asked skeptically.

“Yep.” He responded.

He pushed a button on the outside and a small pad slipped out from an opening. He pressed his thumb to it, and I heard the sound of a deadbolt sliding back. He pushed the door open and walked inside the small structure. The only thing inside were two huge guards standing three feet apart. When they saw Connor, they both acknowledged him.