Chapter 2

Gabriele

"Pancakes?" Sleepy Luca came in and sat down on the stool at the island in the kitchen. Luckily it was Saturday so I didn't have to rush to work to this morning although, I had to go to work for a short while, mainly for a meeting with my potential clients.

Luca nodded, it was really early for him to be awake. He yawned and rubbed his eyes.

"When is grandma coming over?" My mother would take him for the hour or so that I had to work on Saturdays. Just as I wanted to answer him my phone began ringing. It was none other than the devil herself.

"Guess who?" I held my phone up before answering it.

"Gabriele Armato speaking," I answered.

"Hi honey, are you awake yet?" I shrugged, well I did answer and if I wasn't then I would be now.

"Yes, and surprisingly Luca too." She was always up at the crack of dawn.

"Great, I've been meaning to ask you when you are going to hire a nanny?" She's also been nagging me, telling me that I need to hire a nanny so that Luca would have a stable routine. I agreed but I haven't had the time to interview anyone.

"Not anytime soon."

"I've got a few applicants if you want to start interviews. I'll bring you the list when I come over later."

Before I could protest, she told me that I  had no choice and that she'd be over in an hour. 

I grunted as I flipped the pancakes over.

"Grandma will be over in an hour." Luca smiled while I poured syrup over the pancakes. I sat beside him and we ate.

After I got dressed I helped Luca tie his shoes. A loud knock came from downstairs and  Luca rushed to the door greeting his grandmother while. I went downstairs, my mother was hugging Luca telling him how fast he's been growing. I had to agree, he has been sprouting like a bean.

"You're going to be just as tall as your father one day." She cooed.

I greeted her and as soon as she had her sight set on me she gave me a paper.

"List of nannies that you should interview." She had a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Why do you want me to get a nanny so badly?"

"Well, it's been a while since you were out on a date, getting a nanny will give you some more free time." Oh, I see, she wants to try and set me up with a woman. It has been a while (Six sex-less years to be exact).

"I have other priorities at the moment but I do need someone to be there when I can't." My mother wasn't impressed at all but didn't let that be known around Luca.

I went upstairs scanning the paper, some looked promising. I rummaged through my laundry to also find the number of the nanny I met a few days back. I rewrote it on a sticky note and stuck it to the papers. This was a worry for later, for now, I have to get to work.

I kissed Luca on the head, he was too busy playing with his toy to notice me. My mother was looking at him adoringly.

"I'll be back in about four hours. It may not be in time for lunch." She said goodbye to me with a peck on the cheek. I drove to work, well actually a country club where I'm going to meet a new investor of mine.

He seemed impressed by what our firm had to offer in terms of investments. Hopefully, on Monday I'd have him sign the papers necessary to clinch the deal. I haven't been around much so I needed to show that I still had it in me to close a deal.