Chapter 23

Heather

"Come on now, let's hide," I shooed Luca to hide behind the couch with me as we heard Gabriele's car pull up into the driveway. Today was Gabriele's 30th birthday, his mother and I decided we're going to throw him a surprise party, some of his family was there and even Tristen. I didn't have much time to get acquainted with his family since we were busy setting up for tonight.

I heard the door being jiggled open and Gabriele groaning and tiredly muttering something about the door that was sticking for no reason. He just came home from work, Aiden was running interference while we were busy setting up.

The door opened slowly and he flicked on the light. I made up an excuse earlier that Luca and I were going to his grandmothers and that I was going to pick something up at my apartment after I dropped Luca off. I'm sure he thinks I forgot his birthday because I didn't mention anything.

"Surprise!" Everybody jumped up. Gabriele stopped and a smile spread across his face. His mother gave him a full-lipped kiss on the cheek congratulating him, Luca hugged him around his legs, he then picked him up and gave him a tight hug before setting him down. He undid his tie and threw his jacket onto the table beside the door. The clan clattered around him, he rubbed his stubbled jaw and talked to some of his aunts and cousins. I took my opportunity and snatched his tie and jogged upstairs, placing it on his bed with his present.

I slowly walked downstairs. Gabriele's eyes locked with mine on the last step of the stairs and it felt like the world just froze around us. I felt the rush of excitement spread through me. I patted down the material of my dress self consciously. He grabbed me from the steps and kissed me passionately.

"Thank you for this." He whispered as he let go.

"I couldn't just forget, you know, you're thirty now and might I add still hot." He winked at me.

" Oh, you know it. I'm going to open some presents now. I hope yours is there." I placed my fingers on my lips in a 'shh' gesture. He turned red but it quickly subsided when Tristen patted him on the back gesturing to the gifts. He wanted to open them before some of his family members delved into the wine.

He opened a few gifts, being the ordinary aftershave, cologne and his cousin (the one whose party we missed due to the accident) gave him an expensive watch. He didn't care much about the gifts but when he saw Luca's gift his face brightened up, it was a drawing of Luca, Gabriele and I-he hugged him and tears formed in his eyes. I looked away scared that I might have cried at this sight, that was love in its purity. The party continued, people danced and were laughing, some clearly having had enough wine.

Luca was being cooed over by Gabriele's cousins and his father. His father looked exactly like he did. I have never met him but I'm pretty sure that he is Gabriele's father due to the immaculate resemblance. The strong bloodline resemblance was evident in the faces of the family members, mostly the men.

A man came up to me, he was taller than me and he had the trademark brown eyes and dark brown hair, also a chiseled jawline to match.

"How about a dance?" I shrugged, I haven't danced on the makeshift dance floor in the living room and it was now packed. I mostly kept to the kitchen topping up refreshments and studying the tight-knit connection clearly seen in this family. It made me wish that I had a family like this.

"Sure." He took my hand and led me to the dance floor, we danced to the upbeat music for a good half hour. I saw Gabriele coming up to me. He tapped on the man's shoulders making him release me from his grip instantly.

"Mind if I cut in?" His voice was laced in anger, the man shook his head, gave me a sympathetic smile and retreated to a group of people.

"Why were you dancing with him? I haven't danced with you yet." He pulled me closer to him.