Chapter 20

Gabriele

The scenes unfolded almost like in slow-motion, the car began rolling and stopped against something which was most likely a tree. I saw pieces of windshield flying everywhere and Heather being tossed around in the seat with pieces of glass hitting her. She didn't move, her body went limp and she slumped over. I screamed at her.

"Heather! No!" I couldn't get near her since my seatbelt was stuck. I instinctively glanced back into the seat behind me to check on Luca. He was okay, he was also stuck in his seatbelt but he had a cut on his face. He was crying softly.

"Luca, are you hurt?!" He looked at me wide-eyed and at Heather's limp body where the other car hit her side.

"Luca, no, look at me. Are you hurting somewhere?" He nodded his head.

"My arm hurts ..." He must've broken his arm, from what I saw his arm was askew other than that he looked unscathed. Thank goodness nothing else happened to him, he was alert and awake. Dread started filling in my veins. The limp body of Heather beside me. She absorbed most of the impact.

I violently tugged at my seatbelt but it wouldn't budge,I slammed my fists on the door and window. With that, it cracked and I could break it open.

The best sound filled the empty space, the sound of a siren. I heard footsteps and men talking.

"We're here, get us out!"I yelled at the top of my lungs, a man in a paramedics uniform crawled onto the side of the car and leaned into the window, breaking off pieces.

He looked at me and yelled at the other men.

"We've got 3 passengers stuck." He turned back to me.

"Sir we're going to try and get you out, please stay calm and keep talking."

"Get her out first!" He looked at her and shook his head.

"We're going to get you and the boy out first, we can't move her until you're out." I heard the cutting of the jaws of life and saw a man lift Luca out.

"It's going to be okay son, everything will be okay." I tried to soothe Luca as the man carried him in his arms to an ambulance, next they got me out, I had a few cuts and bruises but nothing was seriously hurting so I ignored it. I ran to Luca where he was sitting in an ambulance. The man that helped me out glared at me because he didn't check my injuries before I bolted away. I kissed Luca on the cheek as the paramedic checked his vitals.

I looked back at the wreck of the car, the side where Heather was sitting was completely smashed in. The car was basically on its side folding into the trunk of the tree, a miracle kept us alive.

They said they should take him to the hospital for the arm and make sure there is no other bleeding, he was still crying and that broke my heart. I tried to block his view so that he couldn't see how Heather's limp body was placed on a gurney and they were trying to keep her heart beating. I heard something along the lines of a perforated lung that collapsed and that her heart was beating too slow. The continued to do chest compression but it looked like it was a vain attempt.

Luca looked at me,I closed my eyes for a second feeling a tear slide down my face.

"Is she going to die daddy?" I looked at him, I had no answer to that. His face filled with fear.

"They are going to do what they can." The paramedic closed the door, the sirens were deafening as I heard police cars and other ambulances. I think there were firemen too, the men that cut open the car. I felt so numb, it felt as if I was stuck in some sick nightmare.