Work

POV: Lauren

"I do not see the need in doing that." I didn't lift my gaze from my computer screen.

"Why wouldn't we? It just makes sense." Dinah scoffed and pulled up a chair to sit right in front of my desk.

"Dinah, it doesn't need to be any bigger. The hospital is almost as big as the pack house. The pack house has to be the biggest building on the territory. You know this." I looked at her and pushed my glasses to sit on the top of my head.

"We desperately need a separate orthopedics wing. The amount of leg injuries we get are unbelievable." Dinah groaned in annoyance. "Even if it's just another few hundred square feet."

"We cannot financially afford an extension of the hospital right now. We are going back to the studio next month before releasing an album for a tour, so I have to set up everything in a way where my brother could run the pack with my dad's help, but even then major things will need to be run by me." I went back to focusing on the paperwork. You'd think being an alpha was so easy, but the humans are annoying and I have to spoon feed my brother information on how I run things. With what I'm doing, all he'll have to do is press one button to send it to my email or press another button to put my electronic signature on it.

"What about after the tour? Could you extend it after the tour?" Dinah didn't take her cue to leave.

"We will see, because if we extend the hospital we will have to extend the pack house. I have work to do now, Dinah." I pulled my glasses back down to my nose and tried to focus on the work enough to finish the file I've chosen for the day by dusk.

That was until little padded footsteps made their way towards my office.

"Bailey, what are you doing away from your Mommy?" I stood up from my chair and Bailey did his best to run over to me. At two and a half months, her wolf was able to walk and somewhat run, but her human form was still learning how to crawl. Her wolf will learn how to link before Bella will be able to say actual words. It's just how wolves mature.

"Please tell me that pup came in here." I heard Daisy groan before my office door swung all the way open as I picked Bailey up. "Of course she ran away to Mama." She rolled her eyes. "I was trying to give her a bath."

"Bath time is no fun, huh?" I ruffled up the fur on top of his head and he tried to nip at my hand to stop me. "Hey, we talked about no biting."

"Says the one who taught her how to bite." Daisy rolled her eyes and tried to take him from me, but Bailey growled at my mate.

I had to suck my lips in to stop myself from laughing.

"I know you did not just growl at me. You have to take a bath." Daisy reached out and Bailey pinned his ears back and tried to make his growl deeper.

Me being me, I busted out laughing at my pup that tried to be all big and bad. "You get her, little Alpha."

"Don't encourage it." Daisy snapped at me and I stopped laughing.

"You done went and got me in trouble. Go take a bath." I handed Bailey over to Daisy.

"I'm sending him back to you after his bath. You can handle him for a few minutes while I check on the jail with Camila. Apparently there's an inmate that refuses to take care of himself. He's either getting his ass beat or getting sent to psych." Daisy adjusted a moody Bailey before kissing my cheek.

"Oh boy." I sighed and sat back down in my chair.

Last time Bailey played in my office, my feet were attacked, my rug apparently offended him and he wanted to brawl with it, and he wanted to be picked up every five seconds.

There goes me getting any work done once she comes back.

"Can I have a day off?" Taylor, my sister, came waltzing into my office.

"Why the fuck does everyone want to talk to me today?" I groaned and rubbed my temples. "Why do you need a day off, Taylor?"

"I'm stressed. This language is hard to learn." Taylor groaned and plopped down in the chair in front of my desk.

"You are learning from Maggie. She is the best of the best who is taking time out of her busy day to tutor you. What could be so hard? I am giving you every resource I can possibly give you." I leaned back in my chair and rested my elbows on the armrests.

"It is nearly impossible to understand! I just need a mental break. I've been studying this stuff day in and day out." Taylor started to pitch a fit.

"It should be easy to understand if you have the gift." I quirked a brow. "Or was that a lie to get out of doing real work?"

"I can understand it! I promise you that I can read it! It's just the translating into English is what is so hard. I can read it and understand it, but I can't explain it." Taylor pulled at her hair as if I was the one being unreasonable.

"I'll give you a half of a day off tomorrow. It's your job to let Maggie know." I didn't feel like arguing anymore, so I gave in some.

"Only a half day?" Taylor shot up out of her seat.

"Would you like for me to change my mind? I could say no entirely." I stayed relaxed and calm, knowing how much it pisses her off.

"Oh just go fuck yourself." Taylor scoffed and left my office.

"Daisy did that for me yesterday." I mumbled to myself as I scooted back in to resume my work. "I don't even remember what I was doing."

I scrolled through the file to find the right page out of sixty-seven pages.

"If I can just find it before someone else comes in, it'll be a miracle." I chewed on the tip of my pen as I tried to skim and scan as fast as possible before finding the page with bold letters at the top reading: 'Temporary Partial-Alpha Transition.'

I flagged the page and looked over the steps and boxes I'd have to fill out for the fucking humans.

"We're back!" Daisy sang as Bailey came running into my office like a bull in a China shop.

"Hello my little Alpha." I scooted away from my desk so I could pick Bailey up who immediately attacked my face with kisses before nipping my nose. "Please don't bite me."

"You taught him." Daisy reminded me as she walked around my desk to me.

"Because wolves are supposed to teach their pups how to be a wolf." I rolled my eyes.

"Well, you do your alpha things and I'll do my luna things." Daisy kissed me once quickly before walking towards the door.

"You ready to go beat some ass?" Camila peaked her head in my office.

"Of course." Daisy scoffed and high fived Camila on her way out.

I sighed and shook my head.

"What are we going to do with them, Bailey?" I kissed my pup's head and he got ready to fall asleep on my lap.

All I got was a whine and a huff as a response.

"Sounds about right." I nodded my head and went back to work the best I could while Bailey nibbled on my fingers in her sleep.