Details

Fiona went to work early the next morning. She wanted to avoid seeing Matt with Jess for as long as she could. She set her stuff in her office and made sure she had the key to lock it.
While she was grabbing breakfast, the elevator opened, and she saw Alex getting out. He called to her, and she didn't see anyone with him.
"You're here early." Alex said.
"I just wanted to get some work done."
"Ok." Alex responded.
"Where's Matt? Is he still sick?" Fiona hoped he was. She knew this was wrong.
"No. I think he's on a date with Jess." Fiona nodded awkwardly.
She went to her office and locked the door. She wasn't in the mood to see anyone. Sunlight streamed in through her windows as she checked her email.
She had been added to a group email with all of the people on her floor. They wanted to meet in the main room because someone had a poem that was almost done, but needed something more.
She sighed and walked to her door. She heard someone knocking.
"Fiona? Are you ok?" Matt asked.
"Yes. I was just coming out." She opened the door and smiled at Matt.
"I'm glad you're feeling better."
"I definitely am. Have you met Jess?" Jess was behind him.
"I have. She seemed taller yesterday." Jess giggled. Her giggle was so annoying.
"I was wearing heels then. I don't normally wear those, but I couldn't find another pair of shoes."
"You also seem to be wearing more." Fiona knew she was overstepping, but she didn't care. She was drunk on jealousy, and wanted to do anything to make Jess mad.
"Sorry about that. I couldn't find anything else. It was such an inappropriate thing to wear to work." Darn it. Fiona thought. She seemed like such a nice girl. Matt was probably lucky to have met her.
They walked into the main room and sat in chairs near Will. A tall woman stood in front of them. Fiona assumed it was their boss.
"It looks like we have a newcomer." She said, looking in Fiona's direction.
"Please, introduce yourself." The woman looked very intimidating.
"I-I'm Fiona." Fiona's hands began to shake.
"I'm your boss, Abigail. Now, let's move on." Abigail's voice faded into the background. Fiona politely asked to leave the room.
She didn't know why Abigail had stressed her out. She did hate speaking in front of people. She would have to get used to it if she ever had a poem she wanted others to work on with her.
She paced back and forth, trying to calm herself down. She heard the main room door open. It was Will.
"Hey. Are you ok?" She shook her head hopelessly. There was no point in lying.
Will hugged her. She began to cry.
"I hate public speaking too. But Abigail is super nice, and everyone in there will understand." She took a few deep breaths and let go.
"I'll give you some tips on public speaking, ok?" She nodded.
"I'm sorry. I cried all over your jacket."
"It's fine." He responded, taking off his jacket.
"It's hot outside anyways." She said, trying to make it better.
"Do you think you can go back in?" He asked.
"You don't have to say anything if you don't want to." He added.
"I think I'm good. Can you catch me up real quick?"
"Of course." Will explained what the poem was about. Fiona went back in. By the end, she was throwing around ideas with her coworkers and felt much better.
"Hey. We're all going to a slam tonight. Do you want to come?" Matt asked afterwards.
"What's a slam?" She asked. She felt dumb.
"It's a poetry thing. Basically, a bunch of people sign up to read poetry. A few people are randomly selected in the audience as well. The judges pick a winner through a series of elimination rounds."
"How are the people randomly selected?" She felt dumb again, but she was in no way prepared to read a poem in front of people.
"It's normally after the judges make a little speech. A few of us hide out in the hall near the restroom to get out of it so others have a chance." Fiona nodded. She wasn't going to hide for others to have a chance, but she could pretend that she was.
        "Ok. That sounds fun." Matt said he would meet her at the hotel.
        Later that night, Fiona picked a simple shirt with jeans to wear. She didn't want to look like she was trying to hard. She went down to the lobby.
        "Hey, Fiona!" Abigail said as Fiona walked in. Fiona was thrown a little off guard. She wasn't used to her bosses being so nice. She waved to her.
        After the judges made a speech, Matt signaled for Fiona to follow him. A few other people went along to hide.
        "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about Jess. I guess it slipped my mind." Matt said.
      "It's fine." She replied, thinking of a way to change the subject.
     "Jess is so nice. I'm sure you will get along."
     "Please, spare me the details." She said immediately.
      "I mean, I want to get to know her and she'll tell me all of those things." Fiona tried to cover up her mistake. Matt sensed that something was wrong, but nodded.
      Once the group sat back down, a powerful poem was read. Fiona was so moved by it. Will looked at her with tears in his eyes. She had never seen him cry before.
      "Isn't it beautiful?" He whispered. She nodded.
      "This is just the beginning. We come here every Friday." Fiona smiled, and whispered that she was excited. They joined the huge round of applause the poet received. The lights dimmed as another poem began.
Not a lot of lyric references in this one
Not next chapter but the one after has a lot
Comment feedback
Clues
🎶Both a little drunk and you're asking why🎶- Details by Maisie Peters
Next chapter is interesting
My lips are sealed 🤫