Wonderstruck

"I'll meet you at the party." Tom went out the hidden back door of the apartment building. He had a wig and makeup on that made him unrecognizable. Fiona had done the same.
She wished that she didn't have to do all of that work to date, Tom. The news had been asking where he was, and people had been peppering her with questions every time she went to work. It was exhausting.
Whenever they went out together, their security guards had to dress like normal people. They didn't want to raise suspicion. It was like a game they were playing.
It had been five months since Tom had moved in with Fiona. She had kept her fake smiles for a long time. It was all worth it to be with him.
She was wearing a purple sequined dress. The party was a party like the gala a few months ago, but Fiona intended not to make the same mistakes. As far as the media was concerned, Fiona and Tom were not attending. They would do so in secret, and it was a closed-door event with no red carpet.
Fiona was going to read a poem that she was excited about. She had worked on it for months and was proud of how it had turned out. It was about living in secret, and she had worked with Abigail to make sure it wasn't going to give her away to the guests. To them, she was a girl named Jill Peters.
She walked towards the party after waiting for a few moments. She didn't want to be the reason it all went down in flames.
"Hi. Last name, please." The person outside of the party said.
"Peters." They nodded and let her in.
"Jill!" Tom called to her. He was Conan Smith to everyone but her.
"Conan!" She walked over.
"Are you reading a poem tonight?" Someone asked Fiona.
"I am. Are you?" She faked a smile. She was tired of this. Any person she met could report her.
"No. I can't wait to hear yours." They walked away.
"Ladies and gentlemen." The announcer said. The guests took their seats as they talked.
Fiona forced a laugh out of her mouth when someone asked her if she knew who Fiona Adams was. She explained that she had heard about her on the news.
Fiona's walls of insecurity slowly became taller as the night dragged on. Her eyes were shifting with a vacant gaze. Until she saw Joe.
He caught her gaze. His eyes whispered have we met? The lights dimmed as Joe recognized her. His silhouette made its way over to hers.
"Do I know you?" She forgot that she was wearing a disguise. She hadn't seen Joe in 5 months.
"No."
"I thought I recognized your eyes," Joe responded.
"I'm Jill Peters. What's your name?"
"Joe."
"Just Joe?" The playful conversation started.
"Joe-." He was about to continue to speak, but the announcer cut him off. He went back to his seat. Fiona thought he looked familiar from something else than the gala, she just wasn't sure who he was.
Fiona was tapped on the shoulder later by someone next to her. She immediately assumed that they had recognized her. They handed her a slip of paper.
"Are you reading a poem later tonight?- Joe." It read. She looked across the room and saw Joe waiting for a response. She felt mysterious as they passed notes in secrecy. They talked about vague subjects. She didn't go too far into details about her life.
"This party is being postponed due to the weather." The party was outside. Fiona looked up and it began to rain.
"We will send out an email with the new date later. Get home safe." The announcer went to the exit, making sure no one had to walk home.
Fiona got in the car with Tom. They changed into sleepwear and went to bed. Fiona laid there awake.
That night was sparkling. She had blushed when Joe came over to her. She was wonderstruck.
It was 2 am, and she wanted him to open the door. She didn't think she loved him as much as she loved Tom. Or did she love Tom? What would she even say if Joe opened the door?
"It was enchanting to meet you." She found herself repeating this to herself. She hoped this was just the first page of their story. Her thoughts would echo his name until she saw him again.
Then she realized he looked happier that night. He was probably taken. Please don't be in love with someone else. Please don't have someone waiting on you. She thought.
She shook these thoughts away. She was with Tom. She was happy with him. She didn't really have a crush on Joe. She was startled by Tom knocking on her bedroom door.
"Are you still up?" He whispered.
"Yes." She opened the door. He grabbed her hand and led her up the stairs. She had no clue where they were going. But Tom's hand in hers felt right.
This chapter was fun
Conan was taken from Conan Gray
Peters was Maisie Peters
Pls vote and comment if you liked this chapter 😊
Clues for next chapter
🎶A million little stars🎶- Untouchable by Taylor Swift
🎶 You could stay🎶- The Archer by Taylor Swift