Chapter Thirty Five

Rick, Daryl and for all things holy, Merle, made their way into the prison, looking battered and bruised

        Rick, Daryl and for all things holy, Merle, made their way into the prison, looking battered and bruised. I was relieved that Rick was okay and that Daryl was okay. However, Merle could fuck off for all I care. I couldn't help the anger when I saw Merle. I guess being a new mother brought out a lot of emotions for me because usually, I'm not this mean or short tempered.

"We're not leaving." Rick said firmly as I joined the group, everyone looking at him for answers.

"We can't stay here." Hershel argued. I think his opinion was valid. We were just attacked, we were vulnerable. Not only that, from what I've heard, there is too many people to fight back.

"What if there's another sniper?" Maggie asked. "A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds."

"We can't even go outside." Beth said, very shaken up by the whole ordeal.

"Not in the daylight." Carol added.

"Rick says we're not running, we're not running." Glenn said. I couldn't help the roll of my eyes and caught the stare of James who also rolled his eyes. Glad to know me and my brother were on the same page.

"No better to live like rats." Merle spoke up, making me look at him with a glare.

"I think you should shut up." I said simply.

"Aww did the Chinese girl finally learn to speak English?" Merle said.

I was about to go for him when I felt myself being held back by Rick. "You got a better idea?" He snapped, ignoring the argument.

"Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day." He said. "But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now."

"We ain't scared of that prick." Daryl retorted.

"Y'all should be. That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell." He replied. Silence fell among the room from us all. "We might have some thick walls to hide behind but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted too."

"Let's put him in the other cell block." Maggie said to Rick, making me stifle a little laugh.

"No. He's got a point." Daryl said.

"This is all you!" Maggie suddenly yelled, making me jump back in surprise. "You started this!"

"What difference whose fault it is?" Beth asked. "What do we do?"

"I said we should leave." Hershel said. "Now Axel's dead. We can't just sit here." Rick begun to walk away, making me groan softly in frustration. I went to call him back when Hershel's voice boomed through my ears. "Get back here!" Rick stopped on his tracks as Hershel used his crutches to head over to him. "You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy. Now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. So get your head clear and do something."