Chapter Ninety Seven

Leaning over the balcony of the mansion, looking over the grounds of Hilltop

 Leaning over the balcony of the mansion, looking over the grounds of Hilltop. This was the perfect place to see everything that comes near the building. It's also my favourite place as I would get yelled at for being up at the posts while looking around. I've gotten so nosy since they have stopped me from doing anything useful. I was just forced to see everyone moving on with their chores and lives while I'm kept locked up.

I sighed softly as I pulled my shawl around my shoulders as it was rather cold that day. I really disliked the cold weather of D.C. It just wasn't what I was used to. I'm used to the burning hot weather that the sun gave me when I was living in New Orleans and Atlanta. It just reminds me that nothing would ever be the same again.

Currently, I'm just chilling in the library of the building, with Kai sitting in his little play pen behind me. I could hear his little giggles and the little thumps of some of his toys. He was a little messy but that was expected when it came to a toddler. He wasn't as much of a handful as I expected though. He was rather calm and just enjoyed being by himself which was practically unheard of in a child but I guess it's okay.

I turned around when I heard his giggles turn into squeals of joy and noticed that the messy figure of Daryl had entered into the room. I smiled at the male before walking into the room, closing the balcony doors. "Hey. What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at the Sanctuary?" I asked, looking at the male.

Daryl just smiled at me as he placed Kai on his hip and walked over to me, kissing my cheek gently before moving to sit down in a seat. I could tell from here that he was exhausted so it must be getting really bad down there. I wasn't surprised honestly though. "I'm actually here to talk to Maggie. And then decided to check in with you and my godson. I saw Glenn on my travels here and he was saying that you were getting yourself into a bit of a funk. So what's wrong?" He asked, his dark eyes looking over at me.

"I wouldn't listen to everything that man ever says about me. I'm perfectly fine. I'm just.. tired and in a lot of back pain. It's not the most fun and it does lead me to snap at people." I said softly, knowing that it was hard to get medication now and didn't want to end up relying on things that would endanger the life of my unborn child. I moved to sit down beside him on an empty chair. "It's frustrating that Glenn seems to think that every time I snap at him that I must be hiding some hidden emotion against him but in reality, I'm just ready to push this planet out of me."

"Okay, that's too much information." He said, raising his head. "I don't want to hear about you giving birth. I wasn't there for Kai's and I certainly don't want to be there for that one." He joked before leaning back in his chair while playing with Kai. "So are you nervous then?"

"Nervous about the complications as I bled so much last time but I'm excited to meet the little one after it's born." I said softly, rubbing my stomach as I took the time to relax in the chair. I looked at him.

"You are going to be just fine." Daryl reassured me. "Ain't nothin' gonna go wrong. Not this time."

"I'm also worried that Glenn will be late to the birth like last time. I know he was kidnapped and everything but I have this irrational fear that he will be late again. So obviously I'm nervous about a lot of things."