Chapter Sixty Five

Leaning against the gate of the community in the dark, with Aaron beside me as Henry had gone to inform everyone that I was back safe and sound and not to worry about me

        Leaning against the gate of the community in the dark, with Aaron beside me as Henry had gone to inform everyone that I was back safe and sound and not to worry about me. However, Aaron wanted to stay with me. We both stared at the name Glenn before I grabbed a bottle of water. I sprayed it onto the letter 'G' and begun to rub at it with my sleeve.

I heard Aaron move to stand with me. I could feel him glancing at me as I continued to rub off the letter. He moved to grab the bottle and begun to do the same thing to Nicholas' name. He leaned over to me. "When he gets back and you tell him, it's worth mentioning Aaron, Erin, works for a boy and girl's name, depending on the spelling." He nudged me. "Just saying."

I couldn't help the small laugh that left my lips. I stopped scrubbing to look up at him, seeing a goofy smile on his face. I smiled back at him as his smile was just contagious. "I'll make sure to mention it."

--

"Where the fuck have you been?" James asked from behind me, making turn around to look at him from my position the steps of the infirmary, seeing him over to me, narrowing his eyes at me. "I have been worrying! Dad had been worrying! Everyone had been worried about your dumb ass."

"Hey." Aaron, who was hanging out with me, spoke up, getting in between James and I, protecting me. "It was a stupid plan but she's alive. It's okay."

"Yes, she is still alive, that's all well and good." He said sarcastically, looking back at me. "You are a dumb ass, Alicia. Why didn't you tell us that you wanted to go out there?! We could've helped! I could've helped you." He placed his hands on his hips, suddenly looking like our mother.

"We all could've helped." Rick spoke up, walking to stand beside James, also looking as angry as James.

My dad just walked forwards, all eyes falling onto him and I. He wrapped me up in a tight hug. "You can't just leave like that, Lily." He said softly, holding the back of my head gently. "Do you even realized the stress you had put us through? We were so worried, ready to go out and find you."

"I'm sorry." was all that slipped out of my mouth as I closed my eyes. I swallowed thickly before slowly pulling away from him.

"Alice." Rick spoke up, making me open my eyes to look at him. The silence had fallen around us, making it so awkward. I met his eyes, seeing that he had a softer look on his face than before. "Come on. Let's go for a walk." He said.

I nodded slightly before I moved away from the group. I walked with Rick until we got some good distance between us and the others. He stopped, turning to look at me. I looked up at him. "Why didn't you tell me that you wanted to go back?"

"I-I-" I started, before sighing heavily. "I just- I just wanted to confirm if he's dead or not. I feel like I have to know. In order to become better, I needed to have some closure." I said softly. "I'm sorry, Rick. I really am. I didn't even want to bring Henry and Aaron, they both tagged along and-"