Twenty Five

I am so sorry guys, I have been swamped with last-minute school assignments and finals.

Thank you for being patient with me. God Bless you guys.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever done something that you instantly regretted doing?

Lord knows I have. And He knows I most certainly just did.

Waking up this morning to my mate barking at me was a first. Falling out of the bed and onto my face was a first. Still sleep drunk, I stumbled my way to the open bedroom door with Max jumping at my heels. I felt my mouth slid up in a smile at the fact that she was getting more comfortable. That was a first.

Maybe yesterday was more of a success than I thought.

I turned to look beside me, where I last saw my mate's wagging tail, only of my eyes to land on the bare floor. I panicked for a second until I caught sight of her behind me, still in the bedroom and frozen in place. I hated how she cowered from my approaching form, or how she flinched every time my hand first made contact with her fur. I hated it.

But I loved how she leaned into my touch as the comforting rubs behind her ears calmed her nerves. I wasn't mad that she woke me up, in fact, I was relieved that she did. As Alpha, I made it my goal to always be the first one up, to set a good example, to already be training or working when everyone else got up, and then meet them downstairs for breakfast. But last night I had slept better than I have in the last few weeks combined. Not being in the same bed with my mate caused my wolf to be restless, but being in an entirely different room caused him to through a tantrum every time I tried to close my eyes. It certainly didn't help that her fearful whines as she dreamed, echoed through my ears causing him to fight me and go comfort her.

I would love more than anything to do that, but I knew it was a bad idea. She didn't want me anywhere near her when she was asleep and venerable, and while I could understand why that may be, it still tore me to pieces to hear her cries of pain and fear and not being able to comfort her.

But that's not what I regret.

No, what I retreat to is letting my wolf take control after that comment I made about her never having privacy. What I regret is allowing my mind to shift to the conversation I had with Shar about them trying to breed her.

What I truly regret is the action that unfolded after she tried to attack me. When her teeth sunk into my wolf fur I felt the pain that came with it, intensified with the pain of being bitten by your own mate, and not in a loving way. My wolf was completely shocked, and I knew that if I didn't use that moment of weakness in him, he would retaliate at the unintentional challenge that our mate had started.

So, I quickly shoved him to the back seat of my mind and forced us to shift back, my hands burying themselves in the fur of her chest. I felt the blood rolling down my neck in hot and nauseating waves.

"Max," she ignored me and continued to try and rip me to shreds, "Max stop, it's me,"  She still didn't stop, so I shoved as hard as could, right before her canines ripped into my windpipe. She stumbled slightly at the force that I had used to get her off me but instantly recovered.

Placing my hand over the gash in my throat, wincing slightly at the pain that started to spread from it. I watched as my blood dripped from her muzzle and as she started to shake her head as if trying to get rid of an annoying little fly that kept trying to buzz its way into her ear. My vision started to become blurry as I watched my mate claw at the back of her head.