Eleven

When she started to eat, I couldn't help but smile even though it was dog food at least she was getting some much-needed nutrition into her system. I watched as her stiff posture relaxed slightly as she focused on the meal in front of her. When I woke up to the sound of things crashing to the floor, panic flooded through me as the only thing I could think about was the possibility of my mate being hurt. Looking at her now,  I guess you could say that she was hurt, but luckily there were new injuries from her freakout, but I did notice that she had chewed off most of her cast.

I looked up and saw that Shar had noticed it as well. Glancing back down at the wolf between us, I noticed that she had slowed down slightly in her chewing, but still basically swallowing it whole. This had to be more than what she was used to. I started to get worried that she was going to make herself sick.

"Little Mate, you need to slow down before you make yourself sick." I frowned as my words didn't seem to process, falling on deaf ears even when they turned in my direction. My concern for her well being had me taking a step in her direction, only to come to a dead stop as she began growling.

"Austin, leave her alone, you don't take food away from a starving animal." 

My face hardened at Shar's words and I couldn't help the snarled response that I gave, "She isn't an animal."

Shar took in a breath as she raised her hand up slightly, "I know that, but she doesn't. Either way, you do not take it away or you risk your own health." I considered her words, but when I looked back down at my mate, I couldn't stand the thought of letting her get sick. Looking back at Shar she knew that I was willing to risk it. Besides, she hasn't attacked me since the other day in that awful room. So, taking another step in her direction, I brushed off her warning growls, not even when she stopped to bare her teeth as my hand came into her field of vision. My fingers brushed over the drool-covered rim of the metal bowl, and instantly her head snapped up, a feral yowl coming from deep in her throat before her jaws clamped down hard on my arm.

I jumped back, more from shock than pain, as her canines dug into my flesh, ripping apart. Shar shouted and hit the code blue button that was on the wall that was reserved for alerting the other doctors when a patient was crashing. She used it now to get help for her Alpha and son figure as the weight from my mate, as light as she was, knocked me from my unable footing and onto the ground. She landed on top of me, her eyes looking into mine. The bright red started flickering, her teeth still buried in my arm. A handful of doctors came rushing into the room, stopping short at the sight of their Alpha on the ground and bleeding. My mates face took over a look of pain as she shook her head as if to get rid of something holding her but only resulted in tearing into my arm, even more, my blood coating her muzzle as she whined loudly, but still didn't let go as if she didn't know what to do. She shook again, this time getting letting out a grunt of pain.

The sound seemed to spur the doctors back into motion as they quickly rushed forward. One made the mistake of going to pry her off me. Her flickering eyes instantly turned blood red as they landed on him; she let go of me finally, causing reality to hit me as the pain started to come in waves over me. My mate attacked me. The thought hurt worse than the torn muscles in my form arm.

Shar ran over and helped me to my feet as the wolf sprung at the first doctor, her teeth finding a new home in his shoulder, just inched from his throat. One of the others ran from the room, either out of fear and being too big of a coward to seek more help, I wasn't too sure. But while he ran off the third grabbed ahold of the collar that was placed back on her, and pulled on it roughly. The sights had me pulling from Shars hold, despite her attempts to get me to calm down, I gripped the accusing doctor by the shoulder and shoved him away. The screams of the man in my mate's jaws vibrated through my skull as I crouched down and wrapped my arms around the scrawny, yet bulky figure that was coated in fresh blood. She stiffened slightly as soon as she felt my arms make contact against her, but she still tried to finish off the man that was at her mercy. Pulling her close to my chest I could feel the beating of her heart, from fear or from the excitement of blood on her tongue, I'm not sure. Heck, I don't even know which I would prefer it to be.

"I got you, little mate, I got you, you dont need to be afraid," I said, the first option seeming more like the best possibility as her howls of anger turned into whimpers, the rigidness of uncontrollable fury melted into shakes of utter terror as she came back out of her feral state. The energy seemed to be sucked out of her as she went completely limp in my hold, her breaths coming in pants, but her eyes were still wide in frights even as they stayed glued onto the red-stained floor. Shar ran to the fallen doctor's side, the copper scent of his blood filling my nose as it was also masking whatever little of my mates sent that I could smell before. Like the wolf on my lap, his breathing was labored, but his heartbeat was slowing to a very dangerous rhythm. 

Applying pressure to the deep wound, Shar looked over at me with worried eyes before looking down at my mate who was whining even louder now. Her shakes became worse, I pulled her into a tighter hold as they racked her form, only resulting in her to yelp loudly. I cursed myself and I let my arms relaxed, forgetting that she was still in pain and injured. I still held on, afraid that if I let go she would disappear from life forever, afraid that the lack of contact would send her into another frenzy. Another doctor came in and helped Shar the best he could, but the man that was under her hands has stopped breathing, his heart stopped beating.