Five

My breathing became shallow as fear settled onto my hunches. He beat my handler. And now he holds my leash. This new man, the one from yesterday with the grey eyes was my handler now. And he terrified me. I attacked him, he was not going to be happy, but I under the orders if my old handler, so maybe he will not punish me? Maybe he will take it as an example of how well I listen and he won't have to get trainer. I really hope he doesn't get trainer. I whined at the thought of that man, making me shake harder out of fear than cold.

The ma- my handler held my leash and started to walk in the direction of the small cage and I followed without a sound, limping heavily on my front right leg. When I whined earlier he stopped and looked down at me with those weird eyes of his, holding a emotion in them that I could recognize for the life of me. My ribs burned almost as much as my flesh did when trainer pressed the hot metal stick into the side of my rear flank. I refused to make a sound, no matter the amount of pain I was in. I struggled to turn around in the small space to have my face facing the door of the cage. 

I saw a hint of his sad eyes as he leaned his head down to try and get me to look in his eyes, but I knew better. It was a test and was going to be sure to pass it this time, lowering my head further down and closing my eyes tight. I heard him sigh, probably out of frustration that he couldn't get me to act up so he could hit me, and stood, gently closing the door and locking it in place. One of the others that had come with him moved to grab the handle of the cage, but I let out a snarl and snapped my head up, and tried to bit through the cage wire to get to his hand, growling in frustration when my teeth didn't sink into his soft flesh. I kept trying until my handler intervened and pulled the man's hand back. I lowered my head and let out a submissive whine.

"Find a tarp and put over it. It's the only way we are going to get her home with her trying to bite one of our arms off. And bring him" he said, nodding in the direction of old handler. A few minutes after he said these things, a black cloth was thrown over my cage, causing me to be engulfed I'm darkness. I started to shake in fear as I remembered all the things that hide in the dark. All the evil things that Trainer did...

"It's ok, little mate, you're going to be fine." I tilted my head at the voice, recognizing, but not understanding it.  He sounded different than the other man...how can he be my handler if he talks so funny?

I continue to whine as they picked up my cage and took me somewhere. They sat it down after a while, the swinging motion from their hurried steeps making me feel sick. I heard slamming, flinching at the loud noise, then it was gone and replaced by a clatter and the hum of something strange. I tried chewing the wire, trying to find a way out, thinking if I can't see them, they can't see me.

Apparently, I did not think about the fact that if I could hear them, then they could hear me as well...

"What is she doing?" I heard someone ask. I froze in place, mouth attached and holding firmly to the cage and tried to quickly pull back, only for me to be held fast. My teeth were stuck. I whimpered, knowing I was going to be in trouble for messing up the cage. The black covering was pulled up and bright light hit my eyes; I flinched back and got jerked back in place as the cage still held tight. I opened my eyes back up and saw a different man than my handler holding up the cover.

I let out a loud growl as he looked at me with shock filled eyes at my current state. Then his mouth turned up in a smirk and a chuckle came from his throat. I narrowed my eyes at him and growled deeper, not liking his attitude.

"Dude, your dog has her mouth stuck on the cage." He laughed as he pointed at me. I felt my anger rising at this man. Who was he to laugh at me when I could snap his neck after then he could blink? I was just about to try and rip my mouth free once more when a hand shot forward and gripped the neck of the laughing man and I instantly knew who he was. I lowered my eyes and flattened my ears, one in his direction.

"She is not a dog, she is my mate and your Luna and you will treat her as such." I whimpered at his actions, but couldn't pull my head down. Sensing my problem he let go of the man and turn to me. I stopped fighting as he moved without stretched hands and hesitantly gripped my muzzle and pried my mouth off the wires. Once loose I snapped my head down and stared at my blood-stained paws, ready for the yelling.

But it didn't come. Instead, the cover was dropped back down and silence filled the space.