Thirty-five

What seemed like months or even years was only a week and a half. During that time, Max had started going on daily hunting trips, causing not only her to gain a little weight back but has allowed her to burn off some steam. Shars mate has warned me, that even though the hunting seems to be a good play as of now, eventually her feral nature will grow more control and make a game out of it. Killing just to kill and leaving the corps to the buzzards.

So while Kara and Ben and I made sure that she didn't slip any further away; Cota got started on tracking down the Lycan Royals. She visited Carson often, using his memories as a starting point to find markers that could give a location.

I offered her a room at the packhouse, but she politely declined. Instead, she chose to stay with Thomas in his secluded cabin. It made no sense to me. It made no sense that a creature whith her type of power couldn't see the evil that lingered in that man's mind. She said he had protected her, kept her safe. But if that was true why did she have dirt and grime coating her like a second skin? She was underweight, but not overly so. Maybe I was reading to much into it. Maybe Thomas tried what he could, how he could. Maybe he could only provide a shelter and nothing more.

But maybe he tricked her like he did with Lucy.

These were the thoughts and questions that were running rampant through my head when the door came bursting open.

My attention was snapped back into place, Max was barking and growing ferociously, to the point her eye began to flicker.

"I did it." Cotas voice bounced off the tan walls of the house, finding its way to my ears, "Holy crap, did I do it or what!" Excitement cause her tone to go up at least three octaves, causing even Max to wince slightly.

The young witch eventually bounded her way into the living room, a wide grin splitting her face in two. Max continued to give a low growling sound. It was clear to me that she didn't fully trust Cota, although the reason as to why still evades me. I put a hand on top of her head, ignoring her flinch, and, instead, savored the feeling of her pressing back into my palm. My father's pet stopped in midstep, keeping a healthy distance from the unseatled wolf beside me.

"Cota," I said her name firmly, but in a calming voice as to try and ease the tension away from Max.

She took a step back, hands held up slightly as a sign of acknowledgment, "Crap. Yeah," she took a steadying breath and clasped her hands with her eyes closed, "She doesn't like loud noises or spontaneous movements, both of which I just did." Sighing deeply, her shoulders hugging the sides of her face, Cota opened her eyes again and smiled slightly.

"I did it though." her voice was calmer, quieter, but the smile was still as bright as before.

I scooted to the edge of the couch, "And what exactly is it that you did?"

The smile split into a grin, "I found them. Her parents."

"You could have lead with that!" I cursed myself instantly; My voice rang out through the silent halls of the house, everyone out doing their pack work or searching for their lunas lost family. I should be out there with them, helping to find the people that could get my mate to finally shift.

But Max had been growing more on edge. Shars mates theory proving to be right. The fresh blood that she spilt almost every day now, beginning to drive back her bone crushing fear and twisting it into rage and lust for more blood. That being said, I chose to stay back at the packhouse. She needed rest and space and I needed to be the one beside her, the bond already diving its self deeply into my being.

I could only imagine the ways it would strengthen once I am finally able to lookin into her human eyes without fearing the red flash that could decide that it was time for a life to end.