Forty-Four

I didn't know these people. They were there with alpha when he came back home, and they were there when my body shifted shape. But their scent. Those comforting smells that wafted over them and held me gently in their embrace were familiar. They were crisp and cool as the season's first snow. The sticky, sweet smell of freshly crushed pine. I tried to separate them, tried to find what scent belongs to who, but it was like they were woven together and made into one, belonging to both of them.

The woman looked at me with tears in her eyes, her face was sharp and angler
Fierce yet delicate. I don't know what came over me, but I reached a shaking hand out and began to trace the lines of her face. I ran the tips of fingers from the base of her jaw and up to her brow. I stayed there for a second, just studying her features before turning to the man. Instantly, I had his face between my palms and rubbed my thumbs over the stubble that clung to his jaws and chin. I could smell the overpowering scent of authority. It was different from alphas. This man before me had a more rugged and wild scent that was associated with the power that he held. I wouldn't have thought much of it had it not been for the felling of something stirring deep beneath my skin. What was it about these two that set my mind as ease, but also caused my insides to try and claw their way to the surface? Like something was lurking beneath this form, something even further down than my wolf. No, it was something else. Something stronger, darker. Something that was begging to fully wake up for the first time in my life. 

I shook my head to rid myself of the thoughts and questions that swirled through my head, clouding my eyes with an unknown substance. I threw my arms around both the strangers' necks and pulled them tightly into an embrace. I winced at the action, the burning mark on my arm sending flaring pain through my body. I growled slightly at the discomfort, causing both the adults to pull back slightly, concern written across their faces.

The woman reached out gently; her thumb brushed underneath my eyes. When she pulled her hand back, I caught the scent of salty water. I caught her hand and studded the drops of water that she wiped from my eyes. I looked back up at her own and saw streams of the salty water streaking down her own cheeks.

Thats when the Alphas and witches' voices come back to me.

"What do you mean it's the last thing he needs? Who is he?" 

Cota flinched at the harsh tone in Alpha's voice, "I-I didn't say he I said she. It's the last thing she needs."

Alpha huffed in annoyance, "What does that supposed to mean?"

"I-" She looks around the room, eyes meeting those of everyone in the room before locking onto mine. "I don't know."

Bull crap.

I can smell the lie in her voice, hear the tremors of guilt and hesitation on her words. She knew something but wasn't going to tell.

Alpha narrowed his eyes art her, as if he to sense the lie. But instead of saying anything he just turned with a frown present on his face and spoke to the two that had me wrapped in their arms, "I'll let you guys have some time alone with her. If you need anything just hit the call button and Shar will come in and assist you with whatever you need. I'm going to go see if I can find something about that mark." He nodded, as if satisfied with his own words and decision before turned to leave.

I frowned as his hand touched the door. He said that he wouldn't leave. I got up from the bed, my legs felling stronger since my mad dash to find him the first time. While I was confused as to what I was thinking that I was doing, another presents came forward and grabbed ahold of my barley functioning motor skills and forced me into a sprint and grab ahold of alphas shirt tail. The door was halfway closed as it bounced of his shoulder in his abrupt stop. He turned and looked down as where his shirt was fisted in my hand.