Fourteen

I sat under the bed as handler and the new girl desperately tried to get me follow them through another door way. Handler patted his leg in attempt to get me to move like last time, and while I took a step forward my paws still remained rooted to the spot.

I was torn. My handler was calling for me and I was purposely going against his commands. I knew the consequences would be harsh and extremely violent for my disobedience, but I was also afraid of the things I saw in the room they wanted me to go in.

It was all the same color of the room I was already in, but in place of the 'bed' was a giant bowl that took over half the room. A smaller bowl was next to that, and then a even smaller one that was taller then the rest. I remember bowls like this with Trainer. I didn't like them at all. They where small and wooden, felled to the brim with water, but alway empty when he was done with them and me.

I shook the memories free as I heard the clatter of food in a dish. My ears instinctively perked up at the sound, my mouth starting to water at the thought of being given more food. I was never allowed to have much, Trainer said it slowed me down, weakened my drive to kill.

I growled in confusion, causing both the humans in front of me to stiffen slightly. I wined and lowered my head in submission, knowing they would be mad at my act of agression. That was one of the rules. Never growl at Handler and Trainer, or anyone who worked for them.

The sound of the food being shaken sounded in my ears again and this time I couldn't ignore the drool dripping from my muzzle. While I didnt feel hungry, my body knew that it needed it, my tounge eager to taste the foriegn, yet familiar tast. So I reluctantly stood up my shaking legs, as every fiber in me begged to sit back down. I limped over on sore paws as my my leg that had been re-wraped, proved useless on the short distance to the pair in front of me.

I kept my head and ears lowered, one in the direction of Handler waiting for the blow to come, but it never did. I tilted my head just slightest out of confusion. How can I learn from my mistakes if he dose not correct me? It was confusing and I didnt like thinking about it.

The new girl that smelt like fire and tears, held the bowl in front on my downcast eyes. Drool fell from my face and onto the floor as I shamelessly licked my chomps. I shuffled my paws in attempt to control myself form lunging at the food, knowing it would earn me a beating.

I whined as the girl pulled it away from me, but yet she still kept it level with my face.

"Come on, just a little further." Her voice was calm, but I could still feel the anger that clouded around her that night, but know it was just a steady stream that seemed to grow less and less. I dont know what I did to cause her anger towards me, but I knew it was my fault. Its always my fault.

Despite my fear, I followed the food into the room. Handler waited behind us untill my tail was fully into the the room and proceeded to close the door. I felt panic raise in me, being locked in such a small room with them. I tucked my tail tightly underneath me and hunkered down to the floor. I continue to look at the floor as the feet around me shuffled around me.

The metal contaner with the food was sat next me. I felt my tail thump against the ground in a odd fashion, causing me to still as uneasiness of this event invaded my mind. I heard a deep chuckle that had me bristling in fear untill I realized how different it was then Trainers. While trainers laugh was rough and full of sadistic emotions and intentions...this one...it was warm and safe sounding...I quite liked it.

"You can eate little mate, you dont need permission." I wasnt familiar with the concept of what he said, but I did not dare to question him and instead turned and greedily eat the food that was sat before me. There wasnt as much as last time, but still more then I was used to, making me feel slightly sick as I swallowed the last bite.

As I did, I felt a hand on my head, running their fingers through my matted fur untill it was just mere inches from my collar. I stilled and waited with anxiety creeping into my bones as I realized it was handlers hand. I didn't know what he was doing, my old handler stopped petting me and started hitting instead because it's what Trainer said was best. I forgot what it felt like to have the simplicity of a gentle touch. His hand slid further untill it was on my collar and his other whent to meet it. I felt his fingers fumble as he tried to unlock it. I sat there for what felt like hours but was merely minutes untill finally it came unclipped, the fimiler heavy weight of the thing falling away  as he took it off. The lack of weight around my neck was strang as I had never been without it before.

I felt the earge to shake out my fur at the lose of it, but held fast as a deep growl sounded from the man who took it off. I lowerd my head with a soft whine, flinching slightly as his hand came down, but it was his gentle touch around the raw and bare skin on my neck that startled me the most.

"I'm sorry," was all he said, confusing me even more, but before i could question it any further, the girl turned something over on the wall above the large bowl causing water to spill out into it. My eyes widened as handler tried to push me in its direction, the bright wall turning dull and the warm floor turning into cold concrete under my paws, the color flashing from that of the strange room to that of the lesson room where Trainer would teach me how to be better, the place I watched my old handler lose his dominance to my new one.

The white bowl became wooden. The air grew frigid as the memories replayed in my minds eye. I messed up. Somewhere between when I first got here and now, I broke a rule and now I was to be punished, taught not to make that mistake again like I good pup should.

I just wish I knew what I did.

A/N: Sorry for the late update, I will try and get 15 up soon, but if I dont before the end of the month, Marry Christmas and God Bless you guys, please give me some feedback of where I can improve, what you guys like, dont like, would like to see in future chapters and I will try and keep them in mind