Forty-three

Most people define the word 'dream' as a collection of images and thoughts, that are usually associated with sensations that occur in one's sleep.

They say the difference between a dream and a nightmare is simply the feeling that we associate with the images that flicker across our mind's eye.

They say that a nightmare is just a tainted dream.

I say it's more than that.

I say a nightmare is your worst fears come to life. I say it's your worst memories playing out in front of you.

A nightmare is being ripped from the realm of dreams and held down while everything that torments you in the day, everything you tried so hard to forget, is shoved right back down your throat and your forced to live through it over and over again.

Others define a dream as an idea. An ambition.

If that's true, then my dream is for the nightmares to stop. To find a way to make them disappear.

But right now, they were tearing into my brain without mercy. Causing blood to run in my mouth as I bit hard onto my jaw, trying to keep my fear form being seen on the surface.

I forced down the tremors of terror that wracked my body. I swallowed down the blood and whimpers that climbed my throat.

But I couldn't hold back all the fear forever. As memory after memory, cruel word after cruel word slammed against my skull the crack in my defenses split wider. A jolt ran through me at the sudden break. My jaws clenched tighter, my teeth tearing into the soft flesh of the inside of my cheek, drawing more blood.

The images came again, but I was able to patch the broken wall before more weakness could be shown and before trainer smelled the fear that threatened to wash over me.

I thought I had it under control. I could just make out the voices of the people that where in my room, but none of them sounded as if they were angry. No acknowledgment that the involuntary jerk of my body earlier had gone noticed.

"Shar." Karas voice had been absent from the quite mutter going on around the room, but now I heard if from close by. "Shar, Max is bleeding."

Her words where calm, but her tone was on the verge of panic.

The dull murmurs stopped abruptly, hands were placed on my shoulders, causing my muscles to tense underneath them.

"Max, can you hear me?" Shars feather like voice brushed the air around me, trying to pull me from onslaught of bad memories, "Shes bleeding from the mouth. Can someone grab a bed pan? We're going to need somewhere for her to spit once I get her up."

Alpha's footsteps crossed the room in what sounded like two strides and in two more he was back beside Shar.

"Max, if you can hear me, I need you to wake up sweetie."

"Wake up!" His voice shouted in my ear, causing my body to cringe and tense up even more. "Wake up and let them see what you really are. Your nothing without me. You will destroy everything and everyone around you without me there to control you and your actions."

"Max," One of Shars cold, comforting hand was pressed against the side of my face, as the other laid gently on the side of my neck, checking the pulse that lay beneath the scared and raw skin, "Come on Max, I need you to wake up for me."

I gritted my teeth harder, successfully tearing the flesh off from inside my mouth. I felt blood trickle down my throat, causing my body to jolt slightly as my lungs tried to push it back up. I could feel it slip past my closed lips as my body tried to push it out.