Twenty Nine

It was strange to watch as Max switched from blood thirsty to how she was when we first found her, and than back to how she has been since I went into the hospital.

We where on our way back to my office at the pack house, Max going back to being her playfull self and chasing down the birds and bugs that lept and scurried away from ther thundering paws. Her whole persona was like that of a pups. It was refreshing to see her happy, but strange at the same time.

Kara kept an eye on her as the wolf had a habit of not minding how far she was getting from the group. I was glad that she was keeping a watch on her, as my attion kept getting divided by Max and Thomas.

I thought my little mate was going to rip him to pieces, and I won't lie and say I didn't about let her either and I probably would have let her take a nice chunk out of him if it wasn't for the fact we needed the information that he alone held.

But could I really give him what he wanted?

No.

There was no way I would willingly let him near Lucy. I would just have to get the information that he had by offering something else, or force out of him by force if need be or even the Alpha command.

If it even worked on him.

He lived on the pack lands, but he was essentially banished for what he did. What little thread the still connected him to the lands was persicly that. A rhrwd to the land. Not to mention he had alpha blood himself, a power that he has had for years, even after the title was stripped from him. You can't change your blood line.

"I don't know what your thinking about, son, but whatever it is, I suggest that you stop," I resisted the urge to snarl at the sound of his voice, "because what ever it is, is causing that mutt of yours to grow agitated,"

I growled a soft warning at his name calling, but I found it difficult to put force in the action as I let my attion drift to Max. Her posture was tense, her ears flattened to her head, and her playfull manner was gone, replaced with frequent shake of the head. I felt guilty for causing her sudden shift in mood, especially since not even an hour prior, had somehow triggered her wolfs rage and dominance and than turn around and trigger the more submissive side, the side that is suggested to be her human one.

It confused me as to how her personality flipped so quickly just by my emotions.

But than agian it cause my mouth to break into a grin.

If my emotions had this kind of impact on hers than it ment that she was at least feeling some sort of connection to me. May that be the mate bond or not, a connection was a connection. It may not be as strong as the friendship that her and Kara have formed, or even the trust that she has established with Ben in my absence, but it was a start. And if it was the mate bond than maybe it ment she was closer to the surface than we originally thought.

I felt my spirits spike at the thought. I knew it was stupid to let my hopes run wild at something that probably was just foolish wishing on my part.

Luckly, I wasnt given the opportunity to torture myself with the idea because the next moment we where in my office. I took my seat behind the desk while Kara and Thomas sat in the seats opposite, Kara ruffling Max's ears as the wolf shoved her head against Karas hand. I smiled at the wolfish grin that lit up her eyes, the green sparkingly like twin emerlads as she panted from the enjoyment of the scratches and the two hours she just spent playing and running around in the dead heat.

"So, shall we discuss terms and conditions, or are you just going to stare at her like a love sick puppy?"
My smile dropped as I turned to face the man sitting across form me.
"I want to see Lucy."

My lip twitched with restrant to keep from snarling.

"Your not getting anywhere near her."

He snorted in stale amusement as anger flashed in his eyes, "If I don't get to see her-"

"Your in no position to be making demands, Thomas," his eyes narrowed at my outright disrespect at not only his stature as a previous alpha, but also at his title of a father, " you are just fortunate that I still remember the kind of man you where before and haven't banished you from the pack lands. I made a mistake in having Shar call for and allowing you to be near my sister, but I won't make it agian. Either you help my mate or I swear, dad, I will send you out of these lands and take away everything that reminds you of her, and of Lucy too."

He gripped the arms of his chair tight enough to make them crack under the the pressure, wood splintering and pircing his rough ans calloused hands.

"You can't do that-"

"Yes I can."

He gritted his teeth together, his jaw muscles bunching under the thin layer of skin. He was no longer looking at me, but at the surface of the desk that was once his.

"So whats it going to be dad. Help us, or banishment."

He looked up at me with darkened eyes, rage and malice laced in his irises. His lips twitched up in a snarl, his canines on full display at the thought of having what little remains of his mate to be ripped from him. And from his own flesh and blood nonetheless.

"Your going to need to find a whitch."