Forty

I sat off to the side watching as Max tried and failed to grasp the styrofoam cup with her shaking fingers. Ever since she had shifted back, Shar has done a more thorough examination of her body, wanting to know if the extent of the damage in her wolf side had bled through to her human form. And it had. The bones that were broken, were healed but had set incorrectly. Her bruises had faded on this form as well, but the scars still remained. And without the fur to hide them, we could finally see the extent of the damage done to the soft tissue.

Scar over scar overlapped one another, creating patterns and maps of pain that enterlaced. Burn marks, some still red and angry, others just melted flesh mended to tan skin.

Shar was also able to completely confirm the possibility of them having tried to breed her.

My anger took over again, and I had to see myself out as my mate flinched at the rage, not knowing why I was mad or that I wouldn't hurt her. When I exited the room, I quickly found Kara and pulled her aside from some of the hospital staff that had been talking to her.

"I need to go, so could you please go in and sit with her?" She might have nodded, but I was already making my way through the hallway and out of the doors. I didn't know where I was going but I just need to get away and out of that hospital. Between my mate and the memories of all those nights I spent in there in the past I just wanted out for a while.

I let my wolf guide my feet as I let myself get lost in thoughts that I had thought were long forgotten.

I remember once when my mother was out in the garden trimming her yellow flowers that only bloomed late in the spring. She loved those flowers more than any of the others that bloomed year-round. I remember asking her why. Why did she show so much admiration for something that took so much work and so much of her time to grow. Of course, I was too young at that time to know the word admiration, I believe I actually used the word love.

But all the same, she answered. Her wisp of a smile fluttered like the wings of the butterflies that pollinated in the garden. Her pale blue eyes reflect the mid-morning sun.

"Some of the most beautiful things in this world can come to be with very little. They don't need someone to guide them to the light because they have never lost it. But the most gorgeous things sometimes need a little help, " she turned her attention back on the little yellow flower, pouring a few drops of water at its base, "They need someone with patience and great love in their heart, to show them where that light is," she patted the loose soil back down, "They need a gentle hand to brush away the dirt and grime that tries to weigh them down so that their petals can be free of any burden"

I finally refocused on my surroundings, finding myself outside of the packhouse and my fist knocking on the smooth polished wood of the front door. I waited a moment, wondering why my wolf brought us here and not somewhere where we could let our hurt and rage loose. I wondered until Ben opend the door and I saw Lucy on the couch just behind him, her feet curled underneeth her and arms wrapped around her knees. I brushed by my Beta and made my way to my sister, sitting down and pulling her to me, her head burrowing itself in my side.

We sat in silence for a while, Ben had made himself scarce, giving us privacy.

"How is she?" Lucy's voice was soft but held an edge that only formed when something has been broken and mended again and again.

I breathed in deeply, squeezing her shoulder in comfort before answering, "Confused. Scared." I looked down at the small huddled figure pressing herself closer to me, "She's human at the moment."

Her head snapped up and found my eyes, her own filled with disbelief and excitement,

"Really?" I nodded and her arms flung themselves around my neck, "I'm so happy for you, Austin, that's great."