Ch. 28

Alx's P.O.V

Returning to the house, I find them both sitting a the dining room table. Staring at their coffee that has now gone cold. Sitting between them, I just watch them for a moment. Neither of them make any attempt to move or speak. They just sit there silently. 

"Shayla?" I ask, turning my head to her. 

Her head pops up. Looking at me, she tilts her head slightly. informing me that she's listening. 

"Could you please leave us for a moment?"

Her eyes dart between Chris and me. Taking a deep breath in she nods. With a sigh, she reluctantly leaves.

With her out of the room, I turn to Chris "Explain. I know you not in the best of places right now. but I can't give you a free pass because of that." 

"I-I had to do it. I ha-" trying to justify his actions. His eyes still fixed on the table

"You lied to me." cutting him off.

"I know. I'm sor-"

I'm not looking for an apology "You lied straight to my face." cutting him off again.

"I knew that you wouldn't agree. I didn't have any other options."

Didn't have any other options? Bullshit. "If she had taken a wrong turn she would be dead."

His head shot up in a fury. "You think I don't know that?!" Looking back at the table, he grabs a fist full of his hair. "I-I thought that she was safe. I thought cuffing her to the chair would be enough. And even if it wasn't, I didn't think that she would be able to pass me. But she did."

He cuffed her? He fucking cuffed her. "You cuffed her?! Seriously?! She can pick locks. You know that!"

"I didn't think she had the tools to!"

"I don't care what you thought, Chris. Couldn't give a shit! One wrong move. One. That's it. And she could be dead. Why don't you understand that? So, not only did you lie to me. But you also knowingly put her in a dangerous situation. And then you chased her around town like she was an escaped prisoner. How the hell do you think that looked? What do you think would have happened if someone had decided to assist you? Huh?" I borderline yell at him, completely losing my cool.

He opens and closes his mouth in shock. Unable to give me an answer, he holds his head down in silence.

"I can't have you endangering my pack members like that. And I will not tolerate your dishonesty."

He nods, swallowing the log in his throat. "Would you like me to step down Alpha?" Keeping his head down. Not daring to look up at me.

Sighing I run a hand through my hair, trying to calm down. "No."

In his shock, he looks up at me.

"I still value you greatly. But you have hindered the trust I had in you. You will have to work to regain it." I state honestly.

For fucks sake Chris why did you do something so stupid. You put my mate in danger. You insured me of her safety. And I believed you. Despite my instincts, and my better judgement. I believed you. 

Even if she wasn't my mate. If she got hurt. You would never have forgiven yourself. And I still would have been pissed at you for lying to me. 

"I'm relieving you from your duties for the time being. Don't think this to be a punishment. I'm just giving you some time off to deal with this. When you think you're ready come talk to me. Okay?"