Ch. 11

Chris’ P.O.V.

“Chris.”

I ignore the annoying voice.

“Chris.”

I turn my back to whoever it is and go back to sleep. Try to that is.

“Chris”

“Go away.” I said still half asleep, waving them off.

“Chris.” They said with a frustrated tone this time around.

They proceeded to flick my forehead. Now I know only one person in the world would ever do that.

Shayla.  

“What is it?” I ask, sitting up and rubbing my face.

“Coffee.” She answers plain. Placing a cup on the counter in front of me.

“You woke me up to give me coffee?” I ask a little confused in my tired state.

“No, I woke you up because it’s the middle of the day.” Taking a seat next to me, sipping her own coffee.

Sighing, I rub my face again; trying to wake up. Picking up the cup, I lift it to my nose. Taking a deep breath in; smelling its aroma. I don’t know how she does it. But Shay can make the crappiest coffee taste like a $100. I really don’t know how she does it.

“Lies.” Leaning back into the couch.

“No lies. It’s 11:22.” Huffing a laugh, she shows me the time on a phone screen. And sure enough, it’s 11:22.
“By the way. How can you not have coffee in your house? It just doesn’t make sense. Coffee has been a vital part of our lives since I don’t know when. I would die without coffee.” She states putting a dramatic effect on the last sentence.

I smile, shaking my head. I sometimes wish that she had the confidence to be like this around someone other than myself. She’s never really opened up to anyone outside the family.

At least I slept. Haven’t slept that well in a while. But dam it, I should stop sleeping on the couch. It’s really not doing me any good.

Wait. What?

“If we didn’t have coffee, then how the hell did you make coffee?” I ask finding myself starting to believe that she’s secretly somehow a witch. Crazy, right? Well... not really when considering my dad to day life.

“I went out and got?” raising her eyebrow at me.

I just stare at her. ‘I made it magically appear’ would have been a much better answer.

“You left the house alone!”

“Chill. I wasn’t gone long.”

“Did yesterday teach you nothing? It doesn’t matter how long you were gone. It matters that you were alone. The people in this town will not hesitate to kill you. And they think that they have good reason to. They won't care what you’re doing. They’ll just kill you.”

“Chris nothing happened. Nothing. Ok, I got a few dirty looks. But that’s it.” Sipping her coffee so mundanely. Did anything that I just said register with her at all?

“Shayla you know how dangerous it is for you here. Why do something so stupid?”

“All I did was go and get coffee. That’s all I did.”

“You did it alone. Alone.”

“So, you’re going to follow me everywhere? I thought that you had impotent things to do? Hmm? I’m fine, ok. I’m fine.”

“Shayla you can not play everything down here. You just can’t”

“Nothing happened!”

“Something could have happened!” I shouted at her, now standing in front of her.  

Grinding her teeth, she sips her coffee. Sighing, I sit back down next to her. What the hell am I going to do with her?

“Shayla?”

She gives no answer

“Shayla.” I said with a slightly firmer voice.

“What?” taking a very long sip of her coffee, refusing to look at me.

“Please stay inside the house. Please. Never leave the house unless Alx or myself is with you.”

“I’ll try. But I’m making no promises.”

“And that’s all I’m going to get?”

“Yep.” Popping the ‘p’

“Punishment for shouting at you?”

“Maybe.” Trying to hide her smile behind her cup.

“We good?”

“Yea, I guess so.” She answers, acting a little childish on purpose.

I smile at her. I know that she doesn’t show her childish side to very many people.

*Ring* the doorbell? Who the hell would use the doorbell? I didn’t even know that I had a doorbell.  

 “I’ll get it.” Shay, standing up to get the door. Probably because I took too long to myself.

“Sit back down.” Getting up and making my way to the door. Don’t get me wrong, it was nice of her to offer. But she shouldn’t be so willing to open the door.

Opening the door, I come face to face with Alx. I just stand here tiredly leaning on the door, wondering why he’s here.

“Hi?”

“You haven’t been showing up to your duties. And you didn’t answer me when I called.” He said giving me a conserved look.

Well, at least he isn’t pissed at me.
“Shit. Sorry.” Rubbing my eyes again.

“Yea. He only just got up. The sleepyhead.” Shayla shouts from the living room. She can hear us?

Alx tilts his head at her words. Asking me why she would say something like that without actually having to.  

“She doesn’t know. Don’t tell her. If she finds out that I haven’t been sleeping because of her. She won’t like herself very much.” I whispered opening the door wider so that he could come in.

He frowns. Why is he frowning? This doesn’t affect him at all.

‘Yes, it does.’

‘Oh, shut up. Too early for this shit.’

‘It’s the middle of the day.’

‘Just shut up.’

“Just give me a sec and I’ll be right with you.” Walking back into the lounge, messing up Shayla’s hair.

“Watch it!” Shayla snaps at me.

I know she hates it, but it gets me every time. Walking to my room I catch Alx’s slightly shocked face in the corner of my eye. Then I hear him laugh. Making me laugh. See, I’m not the only one that thinks it’s funny.

That’s another thing. He’s been acting a bit strange lately. Laughing more. It’s not bad. Just strange.