Ch. 36

Alx's P.O.V.

Knowing that Chris is asleep, I walk out to Shayla's room. Giving the door a quiet knock, I open it. My eyes found her curled up in blankets "Can I come in?"

Sitting up in her spot, she looks at me for a moment. She nods leaning against the headboard.

Quietly walking in, I stop beside the bed. "Is it ok if I sit here?"

"Mm" nodding again. Propping up a pillow for me beside her. Making me smile.

I sit down next to her. Loving being close to her again. To my surprise, she leans her head on my shoulder. Sending sparks through me. I wrap my arm around her. Just enjoying this moment. Instantly feeling at ease.

No, you can't forget why you're here.

"Shayla. I really don't think that it's a good idea you walking around town alone." hating to ruin this moment.

She takes a moment to reply. "Chris doesn't need me anymore. And the others are distracted when I'm there." stating the facts. 

"Shayla." voicing my hesitation. and my concern. 

"If it put you at ease, I'll stay in the house. But I won't do that forever."

I don't want that.

"No, I can't ask you to do that. It's not good for you. But I can't have you unprotected either. Especially since I haven't announced you."

"You don't trust them, do you?"

I can't. They've tried to kill you. 

"I don't trust anyone with you, Shayla."

"I understand your concern. I do. But I'm not the weak human you think me to be."

"I don't think you're weak, Shayla."

"You don't think I'm strong either." catching me off guard.

"No. I don't. Not compared to us." 

You're just human Shayla. I don't think that you understand how terrified that makes me.

"Mm." Nodding. "And that's ok." patting my chest. "This way we can spend a little more time together." snuggling into me a bit more.

"Mm." enjoying the added contact. I would really like that. I really need that. "You're using sly tactics, Shayla."

"I'm tired." She protests. "It is the middle of the night." Closing her eyes. 

I find myself huffing a laugh. "Sorry." stroking her face. 

"I'll be fine, Alx." Slowly drifting off.

"You always say that." Holding her closer to me. Feeling sleep slowly taking over.