Ch. 19

Alx’s P.O.V.
I’ve just finished up with the school. Am I glad to be out of there. I was wondering why I didn’t go there often. Well, now I know.
‘I wonder if our mate wants us as much as those girls do.’
‘Eric.’ I warn him rubbing my eyes.
‘I think she does.’
‘No, I think it’s the last thing on her mind. And I would like it to stay the last thing on mine.’ Blocking him out as I walk into the small tech shop.
“Good morning Alpha.” The store owner greets me, bowing his head.
“Good morning.” Returning the greeting. “So, how is everything?”
“Very quiet, to be honest. Electronics aren’t very sort after in this town.” He answers with a laugh before his face falls again. “Alpha?” he asks quietly.
What is it now? “Yes?”
“Um. Are you aware of the human girl? She came in a little while ago.” Concern and anger taking place on his face.
“Yes. I am.”
“Why is she here?” he asks maintaining his composure.
“For reasons that do not concern you.” I answer starting to lose mine.
“But Alpha-”
“What happened when she was here?” cutting him off.
He gives me a confused look. “She walked in through the front door. She had a bag of groceries with her. Milk, sugar and coffee, I believe. Had a look around the phones. Picking the one she wanted, she grabbed a sim card and walked to the till. After paying for them, she smiled, thanked me and left.”
So, not only did she go and get coffee, but she also got a phone and sim-card to go with it. Well, it’s a good thing that nothing happened. At least she wasn’t lying about that.
“Well. If she did nothing. And you did nothing. Then you have nothing to worry about.”
“But-”
“No.” cutting him off again. “She came in peacefully. She paid for the items in full. And she was polite. She even thanked you. I don’t see what your issue is.” I state with a bit more authority.
“My apologies, Alpha.” Bowing his head.
Now that that’s sorted, I can go back to the main reason that I’m here.
“Is there anything else that needs my attention?”
“No. Alpha. The girl was my only customer since the last time you visited.” He admits, still with his head down. She was his only customer in all this time and yet he still questions me about her.
“Then that will be all.” Fixing my shirt before leaving the shop.
I was planning to check up on a few of the other shops, but I can do that another time. Walking out of town, I enter the woods. Let myself calm down I bit. I need to think. I don’t understand how she thought that going to the shops alone was ok. She knows it’s not safe. She knows. She’s well aware of how they feel about her. They could kill her, and most don’t see a reason not to. She knows this yet isn’t the slightest bit afraid of us. Is it just carelessness? Or something else? I don’t understand why she would put herself in harm's way like that.
At least nothing happened.
For their sake.
‘I don’t approve of this.’ Eric referring to being away from her. Not being there to protect her at all times. I don’t like it either. I don’t like being away from her. I don’t like not being able to protect her as well as I could be. No, I don’t like it one bit. But I know it is needed. I know that I can’t just claim her, even though a large part of me wants to. I know that l have to be careful. Chris was right; she can push my buttons. But then, I’m sure that I push hers.
Maybe I should just go home. Go for a run? Work out maybe. Just leave her be.
‘No.’
Or just lay here for a bit.
‘No.’
Yea, staying here sounds good.
‘No. We need to see her. Whether she likes it or not.’
‘Yea, I guess she’ll just have to deal with it then.’ Getting up and dusting myself off, I make my way back into town.
-
Arriving at Chris’ house, I ring the doorbell and wait. Nothing. So, I wait a bit longer. Still nothing. She might not have heard it. Ringing the doorbell again, I am greeted by nothing but silence. After letting out a huff, I ring the bell yet again. And nothing.
Is she even here? She was told not to leave the house, but I don’t think that’ll stop her. Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath in. I pick up her scent. She is here. Just not answering the door. I take this moment to enjoy it. Even though it’s faint; with her being inside. I’m struck with a weird feeling. Odd. Shaking it off, I get out my key and open the door. Then I feel it again.
‘Eric is that…?’
‘Shayla? Yes. She’s-’
‘Sad? And something else?’ closing the door behind me, I make my way to her room.
‘Yes.’
Now at her door, I knock. I hear a ruffle but nothing else. So, I knock again. And again, a ruffle, but this time it was followed by footsteps. The door opens. The first thing that hits me is her scent -it almost knocks me off my feet-. The second thing that hits me is her face. Her red eyes and tear stand cheeks to be exact.  
“Why are your eyes so red?”
“I’ve been crying.” You don’t say. “How are you inside? I made sure the door was locked after you left.” She asks with an oh-so-slightly confused look on her face.
“I have a key. Why have you been crying?”
“Why do you have a key?” dodging my question.
“I have a key to every house in the town. Why were you crying?”
“That’s creepy.”
“No, it’s for safety reasons. I am the Alpha. Why have you been crying?”
“So, being the Alpha means that you can just barge into anyone’s house without asking?”
“Yes. Now, why have you been crying? Are you in pain?”
“Yes.”
“Have you taken your pain medication?”
“Not that type of pain.”
“Why are you so sad?”
“None of your business.”
“Yes, it is.”
“No. It isn’t. I am not one of your loyal subjects.”
“No, you aren’t. But it is my business. Like it or not, you are a part of this pack. Making it my business.”
“How so?”
“You are. And that’s all you need to know. Now, why are you so sad?”
“You can sense it from me?” a shocked expression taking place on her face; already knowing the answer.
“Yes, I can.”
“Can everyone else?”
“No. My abilities are stronger then the others.” Especially when you are concerned. “Why are you so sad?”
“I have a good reason to be.” She states, walking away. Walking up to her bed, she sits down and leans on the head board.  
I’m almost standing at the other side of the room. Our conversation started at the door. I must have taken a step forward every time she didn’t answer my questions. Need to look out for that.
“Please leave.” She asks with a tired look on her face.
“No.” I answer, moving towards the bed.
“I don’t want you here.”
“I don’t care.”
“Go away.”
Shaking my head, I take a seat at the end of the bed.  Putting distance between her and myself. But not too much.
“Tell me what’s wrong, Shayla.” I love the sound of her name.
“If I can’t tell my brother what makes you think that I’m going to tell you?”
I’m you mate.
“I’m asking nicely.”
“This is you asking nicely? You’re not even asking. I wonder what your bad side looks like.”
“If everything goes well. You won’t see that side of me.”
“But I think I have.”
“What at Jo’s? I’d hate to say it. But that was nothing.”
“I guessed as much. But by definition, it still is your bad side. Why were you so willing to kill him? I am a stranger to you. Why kill him over poisoning my food?”
You’re my mate.
“Trying to kill you in my presence by the means of poison. Was not only disrespectful but cowardice.” Taking a moment to stay composed. “And on top of that, He tried to deny it.”
“Ok.” She states plainly. Knowing not to go further, I guess.
Leaning her head back on the head board, she stares off into the distance. I just watch her silently. We stay like this for a while.
“Seriously. Do you not have Alpha things to do?” looking back at me.
“Other than this? Not today.” Biting down my smile.
“Why? Is bothering me on your list of ‘to do’s’?”
Nodding, I let myself smile. I don’t have to hide it from her. I think it caught her off grad a bit. Considering the shocked and very confused look that was on her face. But much to my dislike, it was only there for a few seconds.
“That is for me to know. And for you to find out.”