Ch. 29

Walking into my office, I find the elders standing there waiting for me.

Can't they just give me a break?

Sighing, I sit down on my chair. "What do you want?" I ask annoyed, twirling my pen in my hand as a form of self-distraction.

They all look at me offended.

Entitled pricks.

"Did you know that girl is the Beta's sister?" One of them asks. I'm not bothered enough to pay attention as to who.

Yeah, everyone would know that now. Wouldn't they.

"Yes."

"When were you made aware of this?"

"The moment I met her." I answer, rubbing my face.

"You knew. Yet you decided to play along? And you failed to inform us."

Keep your cool, Alx. Keep your cool.

"Yes, after consideration I deemed it a safer course of action for both Shayla and Chris."

"That begs the question. Is that girl a human born to wolves? Or, was the Beta born human?"

A human born to wolves? I didn't think that was possible.

"Chris was born human."

"How long have you known of this?"

"I turned him."

They gasp. "When? Why?"

"He unknowingly trespassed onto our lands. It was either kill him or turn him. And he showed potential. That was about five years ago."

"And you didn't tell us!" they yell at me.

Braking my pen, I growl at them. My eyes red. "I do not have to make you aware of anything! Yes, you are my council. But at the end of the day, I am your Alpha! Either do as I say or challenge me. There is no in-between!" I stare at them. Wanting one of them to stand up to me. Desperately needing a punching bag.

But they all hold their heads down in submission.

Fucking cowards.

My phone rings.

What now?

Growling, I remove it from my pocket. Not bothering to look at the caller ID, I put it on loudspeaker. "What?" I snap, my eyes never leaving the cowards.

"Hey, it's Chris." He answers unfazed. "Have I called at a bad time?"

"Yes. But what is it?" forcing myself to calm down. If only I had Shayla next to me. Her touch alone would calm me down. Or, just thinking of her it seems.

"Um... I know you relieved me from my duties and all. But, um. It's the full moon tonight. So, um, yeah. I'm still happy to help out. If that's ok with you?"

Shit. I forgot about that.

I'm going to need all the help I can get.

But what about Shayla? She can't be left alone.

"If you are to help, Shayla must be with you at all times. So, if you think you're okay enough to, and keep an eye on her. And when I say 'keep an eye on her' I mean 'keep an eye on her'. If you think you can do that, I'm not going to say no to the help."

"Ha. And he wants us to trust her." One of the elders comments under his breath.

"Now I'm not saying that because I think that she'll do something she shouldn't. It's because I don't think she should be alone, I'm losing more and more trust in my people with every second that passes." I clarify, glaring at the elder.