Ch. 33

Will's P.O.V.

The beta brought his sister to training today. We were told to act as if she's not here. And for the most part, it's like she's not. She's so silent. Just sitting in the shade, drawing in her notebook (someone should get her some art stuff). I don't even sense anything from her. Nothing. And after everything. It means she's locked it all up. Pushed it deep down. And that's not good. Not good at all. 

And then there's the beta. He might have a focused expression, but he has no chance of controlling his emotions right now. All of us can feel them. I don't know how to describe It. It's like someone drove their hand into his chest and took something that can never be replaced.

It's bumming me out. 

He's normally the one that cheers us up.

There isn't anything I can do though. 

I wouldn't even know what to do. 

All I can do is focus on training. So, I guess that's what I'll do

Nicky's come to say hi like she normally does. She gives me a big smile and waves. I return the gesture. Her smile is contagious. She is about to leave but stops after seeing Shayla, and walks up to her. I pay close attention to their conversation. I can't help it. And Nicky seems to think that she's the coolest person in the world. If I'm honest, I am a little upset she took my place.

"Hello, Nicky. How are you." Shayla asks putting her book away. 

"I'm great." giving her a big smile.

"That's good, Nicky." Returning her smile.

See it's contagious.

"But how are you Shadow?" smile fading as she tilts her head.

"I'm ok, Nicky. You're making me feel better by the second."

"But you're still really sad though." She states more than asks. Her cute face looking a little sad too. Six years old and already mastered sympathy. 

Shayla tilts her head. A little drawn back by her. Smiling again, she puts her hands on Nicky's shoulders. "Yes, you're right. But I'm ok. I'm getting better. And you're helping me with that." Trying to cheer her up. 

And it worked.

"Am I really?" all excited. Smiling again.

Shayla laughs. "Yes." 

"Can I give you a hug?"

Shayla's a little shocked.

"Everyone says that my hug makes them feel better."

It's true. Whenever I'm feeling down, somehow she shows up and gives me a big hug. And I feel ten times better. Every time.

"Yeah, ok." opening her arms.

And that's all it takes for Nicky to engulf her in a hug. Shayla has to steady herself before returning the hug. I don't think she was expecting to be attacked.

This gets everyone's attention. All a little curious. With a nod of his head, the beta tells us to get back to it. But being me; I still pay attention to them. 

Letting go of Shayla, Nicky gives her a 100w smile.

"Thank you, Nicky." 

"You're welcome." Doing her little dance. Stopping she looks at our group. "Is he ok?" pointing at the beta. 

Shayla's eyes follow her finger. Sighing, she studies him for a moment. "No, he isn't" hating to admit it. 

"He's in pain."

She can't feel emotions yet. She's still a little too young. So, Where's she getting that from? Body language?

"Why is he in pain?" 

Taking a deep breath, Shayla tries to find the words to explain. "When you lose someone very dear to you. It can be so heartbreaking that it can feel like someone has physically harmed you. And he's lost two people that are very dear to him." 

"Do you think that it will help if I gave him a hug too?"

Shayla tilts her head in thought. "You can always give it a try." giving her a pat of encouragement.

Smiling Nicky skips towards us. Stopping beside the beta, she gives his shirt a little tug. Turning around, the beta gives her a questioned look. 

"Can I give you a hug?" 

He tilts his head at her. Lifting his head he looks at Shayla. Only to find that she's been watching very closely. Shayla nods, telling him it's ok. Why does she need to tell him it's ok? Going down on one knee, he opens his arms. Nicky gives him a big hug and he returns it. Giving her a pat on the back, he lets go. 

"Thank you, Nicky." standing up, patting her on the head. "Now go on. I'm sure there's a lot funner things to do than stick around here all day." 

Skipping away, Nicky waves us goodbye. Shayla returns it, staring in the direction she left for a moment. Turning her head, she studies the beta again. And for a moment. A split moment. I felt something from her. But I wouldn't be able to say what.

She turns he head in my direction. 

Oh, shit, is she looking at me?

Tilting her head, she points at me then to the others. 

Is she telling me to get back to work?

As if she heard me, she nods.

How?

Not wanting to get busted, I get back into it.