Ch. 6

Alx’s P.O.V.

*Knock, knock* I look up to see Chris at my office doorway.

“Come in.” returning to my work.

“Alpha?”

“Alx?” he corrects himself. Taking a seat, he starts taping his foot on the floor. Something is bothering him. I can think of more than a few things.

“Yes, Chris?” pretending not to have noticed his behaviour.

“Um… how did it go?”

Oh, that's what this is about. I put everything down before I answer him.
“She ate.”

“You didn’t shove the food down her throat, did you?” concern crossing his face.

“No. I didn’t”

He relaxes.
“How’d you get her to eat?” giving me a questioned look.

“She by no means ate because I asked her to.”

He gives me a look of confusion. Yes, well... I suppose that doesn't really answer his question. 

“She ate because she didn’t want you to worry anymore. She even noticed doc’s concern for her. She thought that it was bizarre for the Alpha, being me, visiting her. She decided to eat to stop us from worrying.”

“It was quite strange you visiting her. Wait. How do you know this?” looking at me quite shocked?

“We had a conversation. Sort of.”

“She talked to you?” I can tell that he’s angry at the idea of it, but won’t show it.

You can’t tell him that she talked to you.

But she did talk to us.’

‘Doesn’t mean we tell him that.’

“No. I talked, and she wrote her answers on a piece of paper.”

“Why can’t she just talk?” he said more to himself than me. 

“Something about her words betraying her. You were right, Chris. There is something going on with her that we don’t know about. I don’t think she has the strength to tell you. And I’m afraid that I can’t go any further on the topic than I aready have.”

“Thank you, Alx. But may I ask why?”

“It’s just Eric.”

“Is she safe?” fearing the safety of his sister.

“Eric just acks strangely around her, that’s all.” I state calmly in the hopes of dismissing his concerns.

“Is she safe here, Alx?” getting angry with me.

Normally I would have growled at him. But she’s just protecting his family as I would mine.

“Chris I would never harm her. Even if she gave me a reason to. I will never harm her. That and Eric seems to be fond of her. He will not let me harm her.”

“Is she your… No, shut up what are you thinking? But what if she is?” saying his thoughts aloud as he started to pace the room.
I can hear his heartbeat rising and his breath pick up a bit. Then it goes back down. Looking at him I can see that his wolf is in full control.

“Alpha. If she does turn out to be yours that won’t stop me from protecting her. No matter how much I respect you.” Once he is satisfied that I got the message he let Chris take control again.

Eric’s a little pissed at what he said.

“What did he say?”

“Merely that he would protect your sister.” Returning to my work once again.

“Protect his sister. She’s his sister too.”

“Sorry. Situations like this are merely unheard of.”

“I didn’t mean…” a little shocked.

“I know you didn’t.”

He just stood there, unable to move.

“Thank you, Alx for everything you’ve done.” Politely nodding his head, Chris leaves the room.

I’m left with my thoughts. ‘Turn out to be yours’? Turn out to be mine? What the hell did he mean?

Because she is ours.’

‘What?’

She is ours’

‘No, she can’t be. She’s human.’ Getting up to leave for my room. today's been a long day. 

She is. Do not deny it. Do not deny her. She is our mate!’

Things start to click into place. Everything making a little more sense. How could I have not seen this sooner? Every time that I wanted to see her, I thought that I was just worried for her on Chris’ behalf. But that was just me wanting to be with her, I guess.

Because you should be with her.’

‘No, Eric we can’t. Nothing is different.’ Staying on the path that leads to my room; despite Eric's attempts. 

How can you still want proof? You just admitted it moments ago. Why do you need proof?’

‘Because she’s human.’

She’s our mate!’

‘It’s because she’s human that we need proof. So not to scare her or harm her.’

We won’t. We need her and she needs us.’

‘We might need her, but she doesn’t need us.’

He growls at me.

‘Eric!’

What proof do you need.’

‘Eric, the proof isn’t for me. It’s for her.’

Then let’s go.'

‘No, Eric she doesn’t want us there. Give her time.’

She will want us. She’s just ignoring it like you.’

‘How do you evern know that she’ll feel the bond?’

She will feel it when she needs to. Now that does not matter. She is our mate and we need to see her.’

‘It does matter. If we come on to her, she'll think that we’re some freak. Then she’ll do her best to stay away from us.’

Staying away from her will start to affect us, Alx.’

‘I know. I know.’ Collapsing onto my bed and wait for sleep to come. Sleep has been harder for me lately. Is Shayla the reason?

'Yes.'