CHECKMATE

Checkmate

29 October 1998

I walked into Snape's class with Enzo looking for my seat. I had left the book in my room. In a secret compartment so nobody would find it.

"You alright?" Enzo said tapping my shoulder.
"Enzo you're becoming a death eater?" I questioned him.
His expression quickly changed.
"Who told you?"
"Why didn't you? You know that I would understand for bloody sakes I'm becoming one."
"You are?!" He said genuinely confused.
"Oh for god's sake you're oblivious. Like a ducking middle school girl." I rolled my eyes.
"Did you seriously not know. Have you met my parents Lorenzo? Do you know the Grimaldi families history!?" I said sarcastically actually concerned that he went ballistic.
"I always assumed you'd run away or something. And that we could together. Truth me told." He admitted as we took a seat in the back of Snape's class.
"Lorenzo on know that this could put our parents at risk and we'd most likely be found sooner or later and Arvada kedavrad." I say sadly.
"But it's possible that I found a way to get us out of this." I say seconds later.
"There's no way I've tried everything."
"I found something. But I can't tell you about it until I'm sure that it can work. But trust me when I say we're in this together. Malfoy is also in on this. He doesn't know about the new possibility though." I say.
"You and Malfoy?!" He says completely ignoring my sentences before.
"What the fuck are you talking about?" I say.
"You have a thing with Malfoy now?" He says irritated.
"No for gods sake Lorenzo. We're trying to find a way out of becoming bloody death eater and in case you didn't notice you two are my closest friends that are going to become ones." I say rolling my eyes.
"I thought I was your closest friend dipshit." He says mockingly.
"Clearly not if you fail to mention information such as this with me." I say firmly and turn around facing the class failing to not smile. We both burst out in laughter. Immature maybe. But him out was a great way to pretend reality wasn't what it really was.

We then saw a couple other students enter the class. One of them being Theo. Who was smirking at me the whole time he was walking towards his seat. That little shit.
"Why is Mattheo staring at you, Gigi? If he's bothering you, so help me god I will beat the shit out of him." Enzo says.
"Hmm? What?" I say snapping out of my trans.
"What no? I've barely even spoken to him. I've bumped into him a few times but other than that no." I say. I wasn't even lying in that case.
Snape's lecture continued for another 2 hours boring everyone to sleep.

——time skip—-

It was now finally the end of the day and I could begin my research. I got the book and cloaked it with an invisibility spell so that teachers wouldn't stop to question me in the hauls. I couldn't risk reading it in my dorm so Pansy or Scar would see the book. I trusted them and they're my closest friends but I don't want anyone to know that I made a deal with a Riddle and that I'm playing with fire. They would talk me out of it.

I strided towards the astronomy tower trying to avoid any of my friends. I put my cloak over my head. As I reached the stairs towards the tower I looked around to check for any prefects or teachers.

When I got up there nobody was there. Thank god. However I did fin a chess board that was never there before. The initials M.R were carved out on every chess piece. Egoistic much.
Why was it there?
I decided to ignore it and to get to work. I uncloaked the book and sat down on the edge  on the tower walls and began to read. Unsurprisingly the first hundred pages had nothing. Nothing but Legimincy spells and easy mind control ones that would do thing for me. However I then came across "Aplenciato"   An illusion spell. This spell covered over 20 pages of small inked writing taht looked like it came from the 15th century. The spell originated in the south of Rome by wizard sin the ministry. When a war was held this spell was a vital use. The spell was extremely hard to do. It wasn't only a spell it was a harm that needed sentimental used, sacrifice and bloodline power. This book was the definition of dark. It didn't scare me because I e seen hundreds of spells like this in my house. But I've never done any of the ones that included sacrifice. Illusion was one of the hardest spells to master since it was held by the power of the mind. A wizards strongest asset. This wasn't going to be easy. I sat there trying to figure out what the last twenty pages I read even meant. It was like a Riddle. The spell was coded and masked. Which would take a while to decode and fully do. And the worst thing is that I think I only have one chance of doing it. And doing it correctly was the only option.

Suddenly I heard footsteps approach me. I look up to see his curled soaking wet from the rain. He wore an all black suit standing there in the shadows as the sun began to set.
"Mattheo I'm going to start thinking you're stalking me if our bump ins don't stop." I look up from my book.
"as if I don't have better things to do." He says lighting a cigarette.
"Smoking kills." I say.
"That's posh coming from you." He says.
"I guess you're right." I say closing my book.
"Ah the great Giselle says somebody else is right."
I roll my eyes.
He sits infront of his chess board and began to play.
"Playing with yourself?" I ask breaking a giggle.
"It's called exercising your brain and strategizing."
"If only you'd be good at it.
"Oh you want a bet on it?" He scoffs.
"No Riddle I don't want to make any bets or deals with you. One is enough don't  you think."
"Ah so now you're scared." He smirks.
That riled me up. That was something my parents used to say. And that made me mad.

Mattheo's Pov;

Her expression quickly changed again and she stood up and sat infront of me. Fixing her skirt and patting it down as it drawled up a bit.
"Are you done staring." She said quoting me. Emphasizing every word. 
I just rolled my eyes with a huge as dick smirk on my face.
She went first and put a chess piece forward.
"Hold on what are the stakes for?" I say.
"If I win. I get to keep the book. And I don't have to do you any favors." She says.
"And if I win?"
"Offer an option?"
"I get five."
"Two." She negotiated.
"Three." I say.
"Two."
"What do you even want from me?" She says.
"The more people and connections you have with people the better your life will turn out."
"Coming from somebody who has an army of death eaters behind them?" She says.
"Your family is powerful." I say.
"Is that so?"
"Do we have a deal then?" I say reaching my hand out.
"Two favors." She confirms, reaching her hand out inches away from mine. Waiting for an answer.
"Alright." I say. We shake hands.

Gigi's Pov;

As the chess pieces move and the sun sets, we both begin to grow nervous. I am not going to loose this bet. So far it was a tie.
The smoke from his cigarette often flew into my face.
"Want some?" He says watching me stare intensely at the chess board. His features were different to usual. He was smiling. And laughing. Something I thought I'd never see him do. I looked up at him in confusion as I saw his trying to hand me the cigarette.
"you know what sure why not." I reached for it as he just drew it to my mouth. I looked at him confused and he just nodded. I just decide to go with it and brought it my lips towards the plunt.I inhaled it slowly and exhaled it. Not breaking eye contact with Theo.

"Checkmate." Theo says.
"What the fuck, that's impossible." 
"Clearly." He says rolling his eyes.

"Fine I owe you two favors then." I say getting up.
"Rhodes?" He says.
"What is that book for?"
"Are you using this as one of the favors?" I raise a brow.
"How the fuck would this be a favor?"
"Well then I guess you'll never know." I wink.
And wave goodbye as I head to the dining haul. I was already 10minutes late.

(1592 words)