Chapter 2

Zecheriah's POV

"Thank you, Dr. Valentine," my patient said.

"I'm just doing my job. I'll see you tomorrow," I smiled at him, leaving his room.

As I walk through the hallways, I glanced at my watch. 7 pm. One more hour and I'm out. I continued to walk to the nurse station.

"Good evening, Dr. Valentine," Nurse Stacey said with an excited smile.

I smiled at her and handed over the clipboard I'm holding

She takes it and places the paper in the proper folder. She turned to me as she twirled a strand of her hair with a flirtatious smile, "So... I'm off the clock at the same time as you. Maybe, you want to go grab food or drinks?"

"No, thank you. Maybe next time," I said politely.

Stacey pouted and gave me a puppy look while she let her hands roam around my shoulder to my chest, "You always say that."

"Because I always told you that I'm not interested," I answered while I carefully move her hand away from me.

She rolled her eyes, "You just won't admit that you find me attractive."

I took a deep breath. Don't get me wrong, Stacey is beautiful. Her brunette hair contrasts with her porcelain skin. Her eyes were a dark chocolate color with rosy lips but she's quite immature for me aside from me not liking  to mix work with pleasure.

When I was about to reply to her, my phone rang. I checked the caller ID, and it was the idiot of a friend, Dean.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Bro, have you heard?"

I asked, "Heard what?"

Dean let out a sigh, "This is sad, very sad. You need to be more socially active rather than staying inside the hospital."

I scoffed as I rolled my eyes, "Ok, Mr. Social. What do you want?"

"Drive here to my apartment, and I'll tell you," he instructed.

"But I-"

Dean interrupted, "You will be out after an hour while I will wait for you here. If you don't come, I will set you up on another date."

I groaned with that. Yes, I go on dates, but every date this bitch has set me up with ended in a disaster.

"Fine," I hissed.

The idiot laughed out loud, "What is wrong with you and the female population? It's not like you've never touched one before."

"I have no problem with them, but with you, I do."

He let out an exaggerated gasp, "When did I ever let you down my man?"

If he could see me right now, I was deadpan. "Remember, Gina?" I reminded him.

"Fuck, yes. I could never forget," his voice was laced with embarrassment.

I wasn't even supposed to go on a date with Gina. She was a tinder match of Dean, but he had an emergency meeting, so he decided to tell me and meet him at a bar.

And guess what, it wasn't him that I found in the bar. It was actually, Gina. She was surprised, as well, and started calling me a catfisher because she expected a white man with baby blue eyes.

She started shouting her insults before I could even explain myself. It was embarrassing because few turned their heads our way. I interrupted her in the middle of her speech and told her that Dean sent me to tell her that he is not coming.

"But that was just once," Dean defended over the phone.

I chuckled, "Once, huh? And what about Lydia, hm?"

Lydia used to be a receptionist in the company that Dean was working for

Lydia used to be a receptionist in the company that Dean was working for. He spent weeks trying to convince me to go on a date with her. Because according to him, I needed to have a life outside the hospital, which I have, by the way.

He gave good words about her so I can say yes. And it was all true. She was pretty like Stacey, and over dinner in a restaurant, she had a nice personality. I considered having a second date with her if that night ended well.

But it didn't.

Dean gave all her information to me, all except one.

She was married.

How did I found out? Her lovely husband came into the restaurant fuming and punched me. He caused a ruckus in the restaurant. To make matters worst, it became a hot topic in the hospital I used to be working for because apparently, some staff was having dinner in the same restaurant during that awful night.

I didn't talk to Dean for 2 weeks after that. Then I made him pay for all the furniture that was destroyed in the restaurant, which totaled $5000.

"Ok, I get it. No meddling with your love life," he surrendered.

"Good."

I honestly don't know what's with him and his obsession with me having a serious relationship. Yes, I do fuck, occasionally, when I'm not in the hospital, which is once in a blue moon.

In my line of work, it's hard to find a partner that understands my job.

As a doctor and one of the top cardiologists in the state of New York, I'm always in the hospital. I rarely get time off, and when I do, I'm still on call. This means that if they need me to come to work while I'm out, I have to go.

Believe me, I tried to maintain a relationship, but it just ended after a month or two. The longest is 6 months and all for the same reasons. I didn't make time which I did my best, but they wanted to hoard all of my time.

I didn't burn my ass off in med school for 13 years to not practice my degree.

I'd rather sleep or marry my job.

"Bro, are you even listening?" Dean spoke, catching my attention.

I hummed in agreement as I place the phone in between my ear and shoulder while I remove my coat and get my stuff in the office so I can head out.

"Don't ditch me, Z. I'm warning you."

"I know. I'll be there," I confirmed.

"Ok, see you. Bye, asshole," he said, ending the call.