Chapter 15

Zecheriah's POV

Almost 2 weeks have passed, and I'm here in the operating room, performing a cardiac catheterization.

"Scalpel," I spoke.

Once it was given to me, I instructed, "Prepare the introducer sheath." Then, I carefully made a small incision over the blood vessel.

"Doctor." The sheath and thread were handed to me.

I inserted those before handing my hand out for the catheter.

I threaded in the device through the thread into the arteries of the heart. It was a bit tricky because the nurse beside me was shaking in fear, I think. And to be honest, it was pissing me off.

I asked without looking away from what I'm doing, "Are you ok, Nurse Anne?"

"Yes, I just can't stand the blood," she answered.

"Step away, then. Exchange places," I said, referring to the other nurse, Beth. They both nodded and followed my instructions.

"Dim the lights," I ordered as soon as I know that the catheter is properly placed. I quickly inserted a small amount of contrast material or dye through the device and to the arteries and chambers of the heart.

"It's now inserted. Mrs. Jackson, do you feel any pain? Any itching or tightening of the throat? Or any chest discomfort?" I asked.

My patient shook her head no, which I'm glad to.

"We're almost done," I reassured her once I saw the outlines of her vessels, valves, and chambers.

I spoke, "X-ray camera."

Nurse Anne is now immobilized. How did she get through nursing school while being afraid of blood? And there wasn't even much. The incision only produced blood like you were scratched when playing a sport.

"X-ray camera," I spoke again a little harshly. The other nurse got to her feet and gave what I was asking for.

I started taking photographs of the arteries and heart chambers of my patient.

"Please take a deep breath and hold it for me, Mrs. Jackson," I said, which she followed. I continued to take pictures of what I needed.

After a few minutes, I removed the catheter and finished the rest of the procedure flawlessly before turning the lights on.

"Mrs. Jackson, you did great. I'll have you bring to the recovery room by Nurse Beth," I said, removing my surgical mask.

Mrs. Jackson gave a smile as Beth took her out.

"Nurse Anne, follow me."

When we went outside, she fiddle with her hands nervously and at the brink of crying, "I'm really sorry, Doctor Valentine."

I took a deep breath before softly speaking to her, "I understand that having fears is something we can't control. I could not imagine how you felt inside the room, seeing as you've grown pale. I'm sorry for you having to endure that."

My voice now turned a little stern, "However, you're a nurse in this department. I'm not saying that you can't be a nurse because you made it through your studies, and I see that you are great in other aspects of your job."

"I know, Doctor. I tried to prepare myself mentally for today since it's my first," she explained herself, tearing up.

I nodded, understanding her, "What I can suggest for you if you really can't handle this type of situation is to ask for a transfer to another department. I can help you if you want, without mentioning your phobia since you may be dimmed unfit for the profession."