Chapter 25

Zecheriah's POV

"How about you? Why a doctor? A cardiologist at that."

I debated on telling her, and I think she saw that because she spoke once more, "It's okay if it's too personal."

I shook my head, "It's okay. It's just been really long since I told this to someone, and that was to my dad before I enrolled in med school."

Dahlia continued eating, patiently waiting for me to speak. 

"I... wanted to be the person my mother needed when she was giving birth to Serena," I said, wanting to back out now.

"Zeke," I felt Dahlia's soft hand placed on top of mine from across the table.

"It's okay if you're not ready. I understand really. You don't have to force yourself," she gave me a soft and sincere smile that was reflected in her eyes.

I pursed my lips, nodding, "Another time. I promise."

She squeezed my hand in understanding before letting go.

After that, she smoothly changed our topic to Italy. I told her about the places she could visit and some special spots that I have funny memories of.

In return, she told me all about how her work field works, since I was very interested in it.

Rather, I was very interested in anything that comes out of Dahlia's mouth.

She has a certain way to tell stories and deliver them at their best.

I do not understand myself at all.

All I know is that I'm having fun with her company.

And before we know it, the restaurant was about to close. We split the bill at Dahlia's request, which I respected.

We hailed a cab to get us back to the hotel we were all staying at. As we both stood at her door, saying our goodbyes and how much fun we had and we should repeat it again.

"What's wrong?" I asked while Dahlia cursed underneath her breath as she held on to the doorknob.

"Ugh," she groaned, letting her forehead smack the door lightly. "I forgot my key card."

"We could just ask the reception for the extra," I suggested.

Dahlia turned to me, "Emmett has the extra, and the extra extra is with Coraline."

"Oh," I replied.

Dahlia sighed, grabbing her phone and pressing it against her ear.

"Who are you calling?"

"Emmett," she pursed her lips. "He's not answering."

Ten minutes later, we were both still standing outside her door. I leaned against the opposite wall as she paced back and forth, trying to contact Emmett and Coraline.

I patiently waited, crossing one leg over the other with my hands inside my pockets.

But I could no longer hold in my urge to calm Dahlia's frustration.

"You could just sleep in my room," I spoke out of nowhere.

Dahlia froze in her tracks and looked at me in shock.

"I don't want to intrude," Dahlia responded after a few moments.

"Well, I can't let you sleep here in the hallways either," I shrugged.

She was about to argue before sighing, "I'm really sorry for this."

I shrugged once more, leaning off the wall, "It's fine. Come."

Dahlia followed me to the elevator, and we took one more level where the guys' and I's rooms were.

I tapped my key card and let her in first, "Make yourself comfortable."

"This is exactly how my room looks like," Dahlia commented.

"Lewis originally booked a suite as big as his first then I demanded my room be downgraded," I laughed softly.

"I did the same with Emmett," she laughed.

When our laughter died down, we both looked around us.

My room just had a bed, no couch or whatsoever with a huge space to walk around.

I cleared my throat, "Where do you want to sleep?"

"We can just make the bed," Dahlia replied, ignoring eye contact. "It's big enough, and we can put a fort of pillows in between."

"Alright, then," I nodded. "You can use the bathroom first, I'll have my clothes ready for you."

Dahlia pursed her lips and looked at me. It was dark, but the moonlight from the glass windows is enough to see that she was blushing.

Hard.

"Thank you, Zecheriah" she said.

I grinned at her, "It's no problem."

She smiled shyly before going inside the bathroom, and I picked out a plain white shirt for her.

Thirty minutes later, Dahlia came out wearing a robe and her hair tied into a bun.

I smiled and went inside the bathroom to ease her shyness.

When I went inside the bathroom to strip, I passed by the huge mirror above the sink.

And I saw that I was grinning from one ear to the other.

It's been so long since I really had fun without being on call in the hospital.

I shook my head, chuckling before I went for a shower. After that, I changed into the clothes I brought with me, a pair of joggers and a shirt.

When I got out of the bathroom, I was welcomed by Dahlia, who was sitting on the bed under the covers and putting a barricade of pillows in the middle.

I chuckled inwardly and proceeded to my side of the bed.

Dahlia was like a deer caught in headlights, "Hi."

"Hello," I grinned at her. "Your great wall of pillows is good?"

"Yeah," she replied, a little breathlessly before stifling a yawn.

"Let's go to sleep. It's been one long stressful day," I told her as she snuggled more beneath the duvet over us.

I lay down, with an arm beneath my head while staring at the ceiling.

"Imagine we have only been 2 days in this mission," Dahlia said.

"I know," I answered her. "It's going to be a tough week."

"Mhm," Dahlia hummed before murmuring quietly, "Thanks, Zeke."

I shifted my body to face her, "You're wel-"

I stopped midway, seeing Dahlia's lashes resting on her freckled cheeks.

Then, I carefully propped an elbow to check her over the pillows.

I chuckled quietly while grabbing the edges of the duvet upwards, to make sure she was warm until the neck.

"Good night, mamas," I whispered softly, before laying back down on my back.

And for how many times this night, a small smile made its way to my lips.

I was content and happy.

And I relished in that feeling, surrendering to the serene state of my slumber.