chapter 22: auditions

Your POV-
We loaded up the car in the morning and drove back home. We were all complaining about going back to school, but now there was a new bond formed between everyone on the trip.

Eric and I were dropped off first. We entered our house and were met with wedding plans scattered all over the table, color swatches lined our cabinets, and there was leftover cake on the kitchen counter.

Dad and Liane came down the stairs, excited that we were back home. They started gushing about the wedding and how quickly it was approaching.

"The set date is February 12," Liane smiled.

"So about three months from now! Isn't that exciting guys?" Dad asked.

Eric just absentmindedly nodded while eating some leftover cake, but I agreed with Dad. This was exciting! I would finally have a somewhat functioning family.

Liane made us all lunch while Eric and I talked about our trip...and left out the more incriminating details. I also told Dad about the all school musical auditions and he was glad that I was finding joy in performing again.

Bebe texted me that the show was going to be The Addams Family and I thought that was perfect for a weird little town like South Park. I spent the whole night preparing for the audition. My stomach started to turn when I started prepping...I never did well at auditions. I had pride in my talents, but I could never showcase them fully at an audition.

I sat in a straddle on my floor and started to stretch, when I heard a knock.

"Come in," I strained, pulling my nose down to my right knee.

"Hey," Eric stood in my doorway.

"Hey," I responded back, "Do you need something?"

"Are you auditioning for the show tomorrow?" He started going through knick knacks on my desk.

"Stop touching those, and yes," I sat up, "Why?"

"I am too. So...if you want, we could practice together," he didn't look at me in the eyes when he asked.

"Aww, sweet Eric wants help with auditioning for the musical!" I laughed at him. Eric and singing seemed like they belonged on two different planes of existence.

"Yeah. I do need some help. I thought I would do something nice for a change. But if you don't want any extra practice, I'll do it on my own!" He started storming out of my room but I blocked my door.

"Okay, okay! We can help each other out! I just had no clue you sang," I closed the door and pulled up the audition sides on my phone, "You didn't sing at karaoke the other night."

"I don't sing like that. I sing with purpose," he said flatly.

"You're so weird."

We started to warm up our voices by doing lip trills and scales. Eric had a keyboard with him and was surprisingly good at reading music...I guess you have a lot of time to learn how to do certain things when you've been an only child for seventeen and a half years.

I started by singing Pulled, Wednesday Addams' song, and I felt great. I had a healthy belt and nothing felt strained. Eric had a few notes but I took any critiques to heart. I wanted to land this role and stand out. I wanted to make my mark on South Park High! I mean I had friends but no one really knew me as Y/n. I was just known as "new girl." Maybe now I could really make a blip.

On my last run through of the song, my voice cracked pretty horribly. "Okay I'm calling it," I said before sitting on my bed.

"You're actually pretty good Y/n" Eric said, free styling on his keyboard.