chapter 24: overthinking things

Red's POV-

After my nightly meditation, I put out my candles and opened my bedroom window. The breeze seeped in through the crack and made my room a refreshing temperature. Perfect to sleep in. I took off my robe and looked into my mirror. I stretched and stared at my ribs that peaked through my pale skin. I started to contort my body in different ways to see how I looked from other people's perspective...which was a bad idea.

I've always loved being tall but lately I was starting to look sickly. I just groaned and went downstairs to raid my pantry. Being an only child had its perks, one of them being that the pantry and fridge were always stocked full of snacks. I grabbed a bag of sea salt and vinegar chips and brought them up to my room. My body flopped onto my bed and I stuffed chips in my mouth, hoping they would bloat me up. I scrolled mindlessly on tiktok for about twenty minutes until my mouth started hurting from the salt. I flipped through apps because Y/n wasn't answering her phone and it was Tweek's night closing the shop. Snapchat was the app opened on my phone and I stalked everyone's stories. Bebe was with Clyde, of course, having a date at some new joint in Shi Tpa Town. Craig was working on some new skate tricks and posted some clips of him dropping in the bowl at the skatepark. Butters posted a picture of his new kitten and was asking for name ideas. It was a typical school night in South Park, nothing much happening. Just small town friends being normal. It was weird. I don't know... I've always had friends. I fit in, most people did, like I never was deemed a freak...But I've never felt normal.

I'd always said that Tweek and I were meant to get out of this town and go somewhere big and busy. To start our art careers together. He thinks I'm crazy but I know deep down he wants it more than anything. It all seemed so far-fetched until Y/n moved to town. She brought a fresh start to the town, or the high school at least. She made me feel okay about being weird and unique because she had grown up in a big place. She's seen people become people and she believes I can do the same.

The thing about Y/n. God, what can I say. I could never get her off my mind. She was what I thought about day and night. I had never felt this way about a girl before.

I realized I was gay after breaking up with my elementary boyfriend in the fourth grade. I spent a lot of time on the internet back then and found myself sucked in to so many queer spaces on YouTube and tumblr. Though I was only 11, I felt so seen. I wanted to be as confident as these random lesbian women I found on Buzzfeed. In middle school, Tweek and Craig broke up and it about split the earth in two. I never understood why everyone cared about their relationship so much. They were young and gay and that was perfectly fine in my eyes, I guess others just made a big deal about it so they could seem woke.

One day, I sat with Tweek at lunch. He was all alone because he shooed off some girls trying to coddle him and make sure he wasn't heartbroken over Craig. I approached his table and he spoke into his PB&J.

"You know, Craig and I are still best friends. We just didn't want to date anymore."

I nodded and sat across from him. There was a moment of awkward silence until I blurted out, "I'm gay too."

We looked at each other for a few minutes until Tweek started busting out laughing. Ever since then, we've been inseparable.

I was so sucked in to that memory, I forgot I was scrolling through snap. I swiped to see Y/n's story and saw her sticking her head out of a speeding car window. Rap Snitch Knishes was blaring and she was cheesing into the camera. I could only assume she was with Kenny since he would never shut up about MF DOOM.

My heart sank a little bit knowing she was with her ex. They only dated for two months but still. It wasn't me she was fucking around with tonight. After she told me she wasn't looking for a serious relationship, I was kind of... I don't know...hurt? I didn't show it to her because I didn't want to hurt her feelings or make our friendship awkward.