chapter 26: holly jolly

Your POV-

The group went dead silent.

"Mom?" I couldn't catch my breath. My hands were shaking and my stomach began to tighten.

"Don't act surprised! It's Christmas and we're a family, Y/n. Come on, let your poor mother in from the cold."

I stared at Cameron, his eyes were spilling with tears.

"Sissy, I didn't know. She followed me home and I didn't know what to do! I'm so sorry," he started to sniff and choke on his tears.

Eric got up from the circle and blocked my mother from entering. "I'm sorry ma'am but this is my house too. You can't come in."

Cameron snuck under Eric's spread arms and ran into the arms of Heidi. He cried and cried but Heidi just stared at me. As did the rest of my group, no one knew what to do... Until they did.

Stan and Kyle jolted up and ran to Eric's side and helped him keep my mother from entering my house.

"I'm calling the police," said Red from the living room.

"I'm calling Rick!" Yelled Clyde.

"No! None of that! Y/n what have you told your little friends? I'm not some monster!" My mother yelled from the doorstep.

"Everyone stop!" I screamed at the group. Eric, Kyle, and Stan lowered their arms, Clyde whispered on the phone but kept his eye on the action, Red abruptly ended her phone call, and Cameron remained sniffling in Heidi's sweater.

"Come on, let's go," I motioned my mother outside and tried to close the door behind me. Stan stopped it with his hand.

"Y/n. Come back inside, please. The police will be here soon and your dad-"

"I'm not a fucking child, Stan. I can handle this. She's my mother, after all," My words stung, I could tell. But I still reached for the door and was finally able to shut it.

"Why are you here?" I flatly asked my mother, my arms crossed around my shoulders.

"Honey, you're going to catch a cold. We should just go inside and-"

"WHY ARE YOU HERE?!" I screamed at her. It felt so fucking good.

"Look, I know I am the last person you want to see...and I didn't realize the resentment you and your brother held for me until this very moment but... I wanted to tell you that I went to rehab. And I'm three months sober."

"That's a straight up bullshit lie. I saw you at the bar in Shakey's. You were drinking."

"Honey, that was wine. Wine doesn't count."

"Whatever," I stared at my mother. My eyes stared into hers and I started to notice more life in those eyes I used to disdain.

"And...I know your father is getting remarried. Remarried to a woman with a child...and that's heartbreaking to me. But I understand, I fucked up. My only job was to be a mother and I couldn't even fulfill those duties...but I'm proud of him. I'm proud of Rick for moving on and finding someone more his speed,"

"Yeah," another flat response. I could tell she was getting frustrated.

"What's with your lame reactions?! I've changed! I'm better! AREN'T YOU PROUD OF ME?!"

Tears brimmed in her eyes and she dropped to her knees. She began to sob and beg for my forgiveness. I just watched. I watched what had become of her and it was pitiful.

"You could've said all of this in a text message. Or even a phone call, mom,"

"But I needed to see you! You are my flesh and blood! My baby girl! I wanted you to know that I'm done being a disappointment. I want to be your mother. Your brother's mother. God, I want my happy family again!"