chapter 11: friends

Your POV

Stan rolled my window up from his side of the truck. A thick silence filled the car as we pulled out from Kenny's house. I fiddled with my fingers and looked down at my jeans.

"Kenny's a pretty dope guy, Y/n. I'm glad you guys are hanging out," Stan said, breaking the silence.

"Hm, yeah. I guess he is," my cheeks grew warm thinking about him.

Silence fell over us once more.

I cleared my throat, "So! Uh, last night you were pretty wasted, huh," I laughed and tried to lighten the mood.

"Yeah...ha..." Stan said unenthusiastically. He looked down at the cup holder where Wendy's bracelet now resided.

I looked there too, "Stan, is everything okay between you and Wendy? I saw you take her bracelet off the mirror earlier."

"Aw, you saw that? Damn. Yeah, well, we broke up again last night...but I don't know how official that break up was. I think we both said some things we didn't mean..."

"Oh. Sorry."

"No, no, it's fine. This kind of thing happens all the time—Is your house on this street?"

"Oh! Yeah, the second house on the left."

"That's right, you live right next to Donovan."

Stan pulled into my driveway and put the truck in park.

I unbuckled my seatbelt, "Well, I hope you guys figure it out. From what I've heard, you always do." I gave him a reassuring smile.

"Thanks, Y/n... and I'm being serious about Kenny. He really is one of the better people to come out of this place. He's a hard worker and super passionate about his hobbies and stuff. You guys would be great together," he looked back at me.

All at once, I remembered what made me so attracted to Stan in the first place. The way his hands ran through his thick, black hair when he talked, how it seemed like his eyes saw deep into your soul, the little mole on his left cheek. All of these small things made my heart ache. Stan was so compassionate, so caring, and that was his downfall. He lets Wendy break up with him all the time because he trusts her. He wants what's best for her. And when they get back together, he wants to fix her, to make her feel better. Even if it means that Wendy is able to see right through him at times, he doesn't care. It's been like this forever, why would he ever want it to change? She was too smart for him and he knew that. But the fact that she always came running back to him made him feel so good.

"You deserve someone like him, Y/n. You really do," His words broke me out of my trance, "You've been here for only a month and you've managed to get almost everyone to like you. You're so genuine. You're..."

Stan drifted off and started moving closer to me. His eyes, those damn eyes, they quickly darted from my lips to my eyes. I leaned closer to him, I felt the warmth of his breath on my lips. Then suddenly, I shot back into my seat.

"Stan, we can't. I really like Kenny and he really likes me. Wendy loves you, and you love her too," my voice broke when I said love for the second time. I grabbed his hand in mine, "I really want to be friends with you. I don't want to be awkward around each other anymore. And now that Kenny and I are...talking, it looks like we're going to be around each other a lot more."

Stan nodded, "And you don't mind that? I mean, being around me?"

"Of course not! I like you a lot, Stan. I really do. But, I think we were just meant to be friends...But like, close friends, right? Friends who can hang out in a room full of others and not be weird and uncomfortable when it's just us, y'know?"

I squeezed Stan's hand and he chuckled back at me, "Okay, from now on there will be no awkward feelings between us. Everything weird is in the past," he smiled.

"Done," I opened my door, "Thanks again for the ride home, Stan. Oh, and I may or may not be coming back to your crib to test out some of your dad's product."

"You're always welcome, Y/n," Stan waved goodbye and drove away from my house.

When I got back home, I scarfed down some leftovers that resided in the fridge. Dad told me all about his date with Liane. I had never heard my father talk about any of his lady loves in the way he talked about Liane. It really seemed like they were meant for each other. And, thank God, she was his age.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
September came and went. Kenny asked me to become his official girlfriend on the fifteenth. We had become inseparable ever since that day. Dad liked him more than he had liked any of my other boy toys back home. Cameron and him became quick buds, which was super cool and also, super lame. Cool because my brother didn't mind my boyfriend coming around and lame because sometimes they would game too long and leave me out of it. As much as I liked to bitch and moan about it, I really didn't mind.

Red, Tweek and I became an unstoppable trio. We had slumber parties pretty much every weekend, and rotated between our houses. We were all so similar that it became kind of scary. We're on the "finishing each other's sentences" level of friendship (which is unlike any other bond I've ever made before.)

Clyde was still my best friend though. He and his dad were always over at our house. I went to Clyde first with all of my problems and (despite being kind of a block head) he provides some of the best advice out of any of my friends. Bebe was extremely kind to me and didn't mind that we were so close. I admired that about her because I would probably end up killing Kenny's girl best friend...if he had one.

I found myself sitting with my group at lunch for half of the week and with Kenny's friends for the other half. Switching up between friends was refreshing and kept some spontaneity in my life. (In my life that was quickly becoming monotonous in this small town.) Stan and I didn't have any awkward tension anymore. Kyle and I got along well, and ended up getting in arguments with the rest of the group. We're both pretty speech prone when it comes to discussing topics that we're passionate about. Butters was just the cutest. I was currently on a mission to set him and Tweek up. Butters was very obvious about his interest with Tweek, but Tweek couldn't have been more oblivious.

Now Eric Cartman was another story. God damn. I had never ever met someone as racist, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, blatantly terrible and just downright mean in my entire life. The first time we ever spoke he called me a "two timing whore with vaginal warts." And, after I asked him to repeat what he said to me, he proceeded to call me a "skank with a gaping asshole so big that it could easily take an elephant dick." Kenny rightfully punched him in the mouth after he called me those names. Everytime I would sit with their group, the insults would rain down on me. One after the other, never stopping and hoping that I finally snap.

But I guess that was the only thing getting me down. My life was good. I had great friends, an amazing boyfriend, and a wonderful family life.

I looked out my bedroom window and watched the smoke pour out of the Donovan's chimney. I wrapped my soft blanket around my shoulders and curled up into a small ball. I exhaled through my teeth with a smile.

How could life get any better?