chapter 10: a quick trip to the farm

A/N: this chapter is kind of shitty :,( i apologize.
but! i promise that the next chapters won't be!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kenny tried to turn his car back on, but it was no use. The engine would rev up and then immediately shut off.

He got out of the car, "I'm so sorry, this shouldn't take much longer," he smiled at me and shut his door.

We were practically in the middle of the mountains, parked off the side of a dark road, and it was freezing cold. I brought my knees up to my chin. I started to get anxious. What if the car didn't start up again? Who would we call? I looked at my phone and saw the two most dreaded words you would ever want to see when you're stranded. No. Service.

"Fuck," I exhaled and massaged my head.

Kenny popped the hood of his car and began snooping. I hummed to myself and looked out the window. We had been pulled over for almost seven whole minutes now, and no cars had passed by. The hood of the car slammed down and Kenny got back in his seat. His hands clutched the steering wheel and he looked straight ahead.

"Don't freak out. We'll be totally fine...but..."

I looked at Kenny, expecting him to finish his thought, "But??"

His icy blue eyes stared into mine, "We need someone to pick us up. I have no clue what's wrong with my truck."

"Well, we can't call anyone. There's no service."

"That's what you think," Kenny said with a sly smile. He stepped out of the car once more. His eyes beckoned me to follow him, so I did. He helped me up onto the bed of his truck.

"Sit on the roof and hold my phone up above your head."

I stared at him, "What?"

He laughed, "Come on, Y/n! I promise it'll work."

I did as he instructed. I stared at the top right of my phone and saw the No Signal sign turn to one measly bar of service.

"We gotta call Stan," Kenny said, hopping into the bed of the truck.

"Dude, seriously?" I raised an eyebrow at him. Kenny knew about Stan and I...and the awkward tension that's always present when we're in the same room.

Kenny put his hand on my thigh, "His farm is about ten minutes away. He can hitch my truck on the back of his and he'll drive us back to his house. His dad will help me get the truck started up again"

His reassuring gaze made me melt, "Fine. You're lucky I like you so much, McCormick."

He winked at me and I rolled my eyes at him. I dialed up Stan and held the phone to my ear.

Three rings went by. Finally, he picked up.

"Hey, dude, what's up?"

"Hi, Stan." I responded.

"Oh. Y/n. Are you guys okay?" He started to cut out.

"We're a little stranded. Kenny wants to know if you could pick us up," I looked at Kenny and he gave me a thumbs up.

"I'll be there..." he paused, "Where are you exactly?"

"Uhh, good question," I handed the phone to Kenny.

He began to give Stan instructions. Once the call was over he motioned for me to sit next to him. I cuddled up close to him and we rubbed our hands together to try to get them warm. For the next fifteen (or so) minutes we tried to distract ourselves from the cold night. We played a game of twenty questions that got a little too raunchy towards the end.