Chapter 11

"Are you sure my king? Once this ritual is performed it stays for a whole week. Who knows what kind of things this woman will ask?" Baylor questioned the king. I wasn't too fond of Baylor. Baylor was the same man who had married the king and me.

"This woman is your queen, so remember your place," my husband hissed at the man, "As the queen and my wife she has the privilege to ask me questions and get truthful answers. I'm sure of the ritual. So do it and don't question me again!"

The bald man gulped and I felt a twinge of amusement. His hands were shaking as he picked up a large steel blade. His beady brown eyes nervously took in the knife. "Does he have to cut us?" I asked the king.

The king shook his head and I held my hand out for the knife. "Give it to me," I ordered in a bored tone.

Baylor gave me the knife and back away like he was scared that I was going to stab him. I rolled my eyes at his fear. The knife was slightly warm and had hardly any weight to it. Its edge, razor-sharp. I dragged it over my palm in a swift motion. The cut was nothing but a small stinging annoyance. Once blood began to pool into my palm I turned to the king and did the same thing. I cut his palm deeper, knowing that he would heal faster than me.

I gave the steel knife back to Baylor and he gulped as he returned it to its place in the drawer. "Place your hands in each other's, my majesties," Baylor directed nervously.

The king grabbed my now red hand and intertwined our fingers. Our hands were overly hot and I felt uncomfortable.

"For a week
they be so linked
Unable to hide
Therefore bind," Baylor uttered in a powerful voice as his eyes flashed red. Our hands became so hot that for a moment I tried to free my hand from the king's grasp.

A yellow glow emitted from the blood on our hands and I gasped. The yellow circled our hands in a dazzling display for a few seconds. Then the light turned into a dark purple and I felt a searing pain in my hand.

I let out a small yelp and the king let my hand go. I clutched my hand as the pain faded away. I looked down at my palm to see my hand astonishingly unharmed. There was no cut, no burn, and no blood. I glanced up at the king's hand that I had cut and it was the same way... perfect.

I let my hands fall to my sides and I asked, "Was that the ritual? Is it over?"

"That was it," my husband grumbled.

"The link will disappear on its own in a week. In the meantime don't be surprised if you find yourselves unable to leave each other's side," Baylor informed us.

My head snapped up and I felt a wave of fury. Unable to leave each other's side? "Did you know about that?" I whispered in a harsh tone to the king.

He looked at me through the corner of his eyes, and I could see the right corner of his mouth tug upward for a split second. "I did," he replied with pride.

I glared at him and knew that if looks could kill he would be six feet under by now. I brushed past him and out the door of the overly simple office. I let my anger guide my feet until I felt a warm presence next to me. "You don't even know where you're going," the king reminded me.

I stayed silent as I continued to walk. The king quickly went silent as well and walked by my side. We got to a point where there were two paths we could take. I took a step to keep going straight but the king grabbed my arm and steered me towards the path that went off to the right. Once we were in the right hall he let go of my arm. This pattern continued wordlessly for about twenty minutes. Finally, our bare feet came to a stop in front of a large dark wooden door that had a gilded sword adorning it.