Chapter 31

"She's coming to," I heard someone say.

I groaned and sat up. My vision was blurry and my mind felt fuzzy. What happened? I pressed my hand against my forehead and racked my mind for why I was so drowsy. Finally, a wave of information slammed into me and I shot straight up.

"Woah! Calm down!" Taylor told me.

My eyes ran over her delicate face and I felt even more confused. "What are you doing here? I thought you left days ago," I groaned as I closed my eyes again.

"The king asked Jonah and me to come and watch you. He and the prince had some business to handle and he claimed that he only trust us enough to watch you when you're in such a bad state," she explained.

Jonah's here too? I opened my eyes to look at the other unexpected guest but got sidetracked when all I saw was the bluish grid. It was even more prominent than before.

"Get the king," I ordered them in a breathy voice.

I felt Taylor's eyes examine me for a second. She then turned to her beloved and told him, "You heard her. Go get the king"

"You're so bossy when it comes to your friends," he teased lightly. Soon his footsteps were audible and the door was opened and then shut.

I felt warm hands soothingly attempt to untangle my red hair. I looked away from the distinct lines and looked up at Taylor. "Hey what's going on?" She asked me.

"I think I'm going crazy," I replied.

Her eyebrows lifted and she inquired, "Why do you think that?"

I motioned with my hands all over the floor of the room. She looked confused by my gestures and I gave up trying to show her the grid. "I see these glowing blue lines all over. It's like a grid all over the surface of everything," I explained.

"Maybe you are going crazy," Taylor replied and I look at her in shock, "I know I shouldn't be saying that to a queen, but you're literally seeing things. That sounds pretty crazy to me."

I summoned a bottle of vodka and a cup. I began to pour the clear liquid and I grumbled to my friend, "Thanks for the reassurance."

I brought the cup up to my lips and took three large gulps of the alcohol. The large glass was emptied and I filled it up with more vodka. As I was bringing the cup up to my lips again the door opened and Drake rushed in. He glared at the large cup as I swallowed its contents. "Why are you drinking?" He growled as he took the bottle and empty glass out of my hands.

I let my jade gaze tear into him as I summoned a new bottle that was filled with scotch. "If I'm drunk then it would at least be ordinary for me to be seeing things," I told him as I brought the bottle to my lips.

I started to take large gulps but didn't feel any buzz. My mind was still crystal clear once the new bottle was empty. I started to feel frustrated when I knew my mind was as sharp as ever, but I was still seeing this blue grid all over the floor.

"Well... At least you know that she can win any drinking contest," Taylor failed to comfort her king.

Drake sighed and held the bridge of his nose with his pointer finger and thumb. He glanced at me then froze for a second. "Can I be left alone with my wife," Drake stated instead of asked.

His tone left no room for arguing and we all knew that it wasn't truly an option for them to stay. The two nodded then left. I moved my eyes back to the grid. I felt an overly hot presence sit beside me and wrap an arm around my waist. I leaned into him and felt tears fall down my face. "I don't understand what's happening to me," I cried.

"Are you sure it's not an Amari thing?" He questioned.

"Cara never saw things," I countered.

"What if you have different powers or something? You guys are two different people," he reasoned.

I ran my hand through my long thick hair and just thought. "How would seeing a grid be a power? So far it's just been driving me insane," I responded.

He stood up, leaving me alone on my bed, and said, "Let's figure it out."

Almost two hours passed and we weren't getting anywhere. Drake was laying on his back by the fireplace and took turns turning the logs into a healthy fire and then into huge blocks of ice. I was sitting out on the balcony with the door open behind me. I stared at the lines that covered the green hills and felt a rush of anger. "That's it!" I yelled, "I'm officially crazy!"

"No, you're not," Drake responded with an eye roll. He sat up leaving the fireplace a frozen mess.

"There is no connection between me seeing things and my powers! That means I'm just seeing things and that I'm crazy!" I snapped.

"There has to be something we haven't tried," he said.

I threw my hands down and screamed, "Like what!"

The ground rumbled at my movements and I turned back around to see what just happened. Everything was normal outside so I turned back around to face Drake. His eyes were wide with shock and he said, "Do that again."

My eyebrow raised and I responded, "What? I didn't do anything."

"Yes, you did!" He told me, "You threw your hands down and it was like the ground outside dipped with them."

My face became blank and my mind went into work mode. The grid. The ground. The intense emotion.

I turned back towards the window and took a deep breath. I looked at the intersecting lines that had no structures around them. I slowly brought my hand over the lines. I spread my fingers out so it covered more space over the grid. My hand was hovering over the blue lines and I let my emotions run amok. All the fear, frustration, anger, but most of all... all of my yearning for the people I was taken away from. I pushed my hand down and the lines from the grid as well as the earth went down with it. I gasped and yanked my hand up. The ground off in the distance stayed down and had the shape of my hand was imprinted in it.

I turned around and looked at Drake with wide eyes. Both of our mouths were hanging open as we processed what just happened. "I just made the ground move," I mumbled in awe.