Chapter 13

I turned on my side as I tried to get comfortable. My cheek laid flat against the warm chest and I snuggled closer to the warmth. My leg draped over warm legs as my arm rested on the steady breathing torso. Wait... what? I snapped my eyes open and sat up. I looked around me and I felt my heart flutter.

The king was fast asleep on the rug and I was right next to him. He had one arm behind his head and the other one was sprawled out behind me. His bare chest moved up and down as he inhaled and exhaled.

"Crap! Crap! Crap!" I whispered feeling a bit panicked. I looked at my leg that was draped over his and tried to calculate how I could get it off without waking him up.

I squeezed my eyes closed and slowly lifted my leg up. He let out a deep breath at the movement and I froze. I stared at his sleeping face as I waited for him to either wake up or go back to sleep. He turned his head towards the bed and went right back to sleep. A breath of relief escaped my lips and I put my leg back on the ground.

I pushed myself away from his body and laid down on my back. I let out a groan as I put my arm over my eyes. That was like defusing a bomb! How did I even get down here? When did I get down here?

Shaking off the unexpected tension that came from untangling myself, I got up. I went into my closet and found a lacy lavender sundress I could change into. I admired the flowy modest dress as I went into the bathroom. Inside the bathroom, I did my morning routine and changed into the dress. After I was satisfied with my hygiene, I exited the bathroom.

The king was still sound asleep on the rug. The only sound you could hear from him was his steady even breaths. I glanced at his muscular chest for a few minutes and nodded with approval. He is one good-looking man. I turned away from him and went to sit at my vanity.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. My hair, like always, was in its long loose red curls. My jade green eyes seemed well-rested and brighter than usual. I haven't seen my eyes look so normal in years.

I continued to gaze at the change in my eyes. A small feeling of hope emerged from my heart and I couldn't hold back my smile.

"I swear that smile of yours always makes my day better," Dad gushed on me as he walked through the front door.

I rolled my eyes as I took his briefcase from his hands and gave him a side hug. "You have to say that. You're my dad," I told him.

He shook his head and replied, "I don't have to! Plus it's true. I deal with scary dangerous people all day. So when I come home to the world's best smile it just makes me smile myself."

"You lawyers with your words and explanations," I accused with a sarcastic wagging of my finger.

Dad would be heartbroken if he saw the emotionless monster I've become. He always tried his hardest to make me smile every minute of every day. Now I hardly ever smile. Yet here I am... smiling.

I shook off my thoughts and got off the chair in front of my vanity. I don't need any makeup today.

I walked towards the balcony and looked out the windows. The sun was up and shining, and I could tell it was probably a little past lunch. How long were we sleeping?

I looked behind me at the sleeping man and wondered whether or not I should wake him. His face was facing my bed, away from the sun, and he showed no sign of being even close to conscious. He must have been exhausted. Being a king isn't exactly an easy job. He probably goes days without any sleep. The dinner isn't for a few hours... I'll just let him rest.

With that in mind, I summoned a book and sat down on the floor in front of the balcony. I leaned my back against the wall and positioned myself to where I could see the blue sky. I began to flip through my book of poems until I landed on one that caught my attention.