6. ejcu (elton john cinematic universe)

"Ellie, I don't want to hear any news about my grandaughter from the newspaper. Please remember that for the future."

I nod, taking another bite of my risotto. Nonna's sat me down and fed me too much like she always does, Hugh's sitting across from me but he's munching down the big bowl. When I arrived at my grandparents' house, I was immediately thrown in here to be fed and lectured.

It's a usual thing for the Peirce's. We express everything with too much food and talking, then an overwhelming feeling of knowing you're extremely loved always rushes over you.

Hugh meets my eyes, and he sticks his tongue out. Loser, he mouths to me.

I'm about to say inappropriate words back when nonna places a glass of water in front of me and raises her brow.

"It just happened," I say, helplessly. "I just met him at Vonnie's wedding and then . . . uhm, we've seen each other a few times since then. It's nothing serious yet."

She takes a seat beside me. "Yet," she questions. "Do you like him?"

Multiple James's flash through my mind. A fourteen-year-old talking to me while I cried in the infirmary. A drunk boy puking up on me than hurting my feelings. A boy apologizing to me at work. A boy sprawled out on the floor playing with Camille. Then . . . a boy looking sad as I told him about the relationship I have with my dad.

They all piece together to create someone who's just a normal person. Not perfect, not bad, just a normal guy with a good heart.

"I do."

"Ellie, can you get us tickets to his game then?"

Nonna smiles at Hugh's comment, she turns to add more food into his bowl even though he tries to insist he's full. "Your Grandma Rachel doesn't feed you enough, tell her I said that," she tells him. "Also, we will not be using Ellie's . . . boyfriend?"

"Not yet."

"We won't be using Ellie's James until he comes to a proper family dinner."

I'm burying my face in my arms, feeling suddenly embarrassed at the idea of all of this.

But, she's rubbing my back and laughing. "I'm just kidding, hide him away for as long as you'd like," she says, in her comforting voice. "Just make sure he's someone that stays. You deserve a boy who stays."

FAVOURITE COUSIN

jimbo: you mind grabbing a few things?

ellie: uhm, how much is a few

jimbo sent an image

ellie: JIMMY NATHAN WOOD THAT'LL TAKE ME EIGHT YEARS

jimbo: elllllieeeeeee it's my birthday, pleaseeeee

jimbo: come on elle, just this one time. im really sorry, i just go caught up in everything and realized i don't have any shit at my place

ellie: okok but my birthday better be extra special then

jimbo: oh ya the big old 20 is gonna be unforgettable, don't worry

My arms are full of groceries as I'm using my shoulder to bump into the doorbell of Jimmy's house.

He lives in one of those modern farmhouses that are all over Pinterest. When Jimmy finished his first season with the Tutshill Tornadoes, he decided he'd invest it all into this house. Saying, he wanted to be living in his forever home sooner than later.