Chapter 8

They sat themselves down at a two-person table, next to the window, where they both set down a mug each. Korra could see Naga from here, laying down on the pavement outside. No dogs allowed unfortunately.

Asami brought the cup to her lips and took a sip before speaking.
"Will she be alright out there by herself?"

Korra nodded and leant back on her wooden chair.
"Yep. More than alright."

For a moment it was an awkward silence until Korra sucked up enough courage to talk about how cold the weather had been lately. She immediately mentally cursed herself once those words left her lips, that's one way to make the situation even more awkward. But to her surprise, Asami let out a small giggle and responded with enthusiasm.

Soon the topics changed, from old school memories to the most embarrassing moments they've ever lived through.
"Let me guess, yours would be the incident in the staff room."

Korra winced at the mention of that and she slapped her head with a groan, earning a small laugh from the woman opposite.
"I hoped you would've forgot about that." She said with glowing red cheeks. She'll never live that one down.
"But yeah I might have to go with that incident."

"Trust me, you shouldn't feel embarrassed about it. That staff room was a mess, you were bound to trip." Asami reassured her.
"But it was funny."

"I'm glad you find my suffering amusing." Korra chuckled.

Asami's voice was appealing and assertive, always having a question for Korra or a story to tell. It was comfortable to say the least, like they had known each other for a lot longer than they'd actually have. As time carried on the women found themselves going over all sorts of topics until they finally reached the ultimate question.

"Alright." Korra hummed, swirling her finger around the top of her mug. Asami rose a brow, she could tell this is where the deep questions started to pile up and she was ready.
"Favourite colour?"

A laugh bubbled in her stomach as she took a sip, almost choking on the coffee that she just drank.
"My favourite colour?"

"Your favourite colour.." Korra repeated with a laugh.

Red. That was always her answer. Red is the bloom of poppy meadows, of the silken petals that sail upon the updraft winds. Red is luck, red is romance, red is hearth and home. That was always her reason but now saying that colour didn't feel right.

Korra leaned her chin on her knuckle and waited for her answer, that's when her green eyes studied Korra's blue ones. It was the blue of forget-me-nots, that bright and bold yet ever so delicate burst of optimism that such tiny flowers are. Perhaps her favourite colour had changed. For her, blue is a cheery colour, one of honesty, it's the colour of oceans and skies... and well. It's the colour of her eyes.
"Blue.." She said, taking the cup up to her mouth for another sip which was her last.

"Really?" Korra exclaimed.
"It's mine too!"

They shared laughter at Korra's little outburst of excitement. Once the cups were empty Asami didn't hesitate to pick them both up in her hands.
"Refill?" She asked.

"I.. uh. Please, if you don't mind." Korra said but before she could blurt out her order and hand Asami some money, the woman was already half way to the counter. Asami didn't spend too long at the counter, quickly muttering the orders over to an unfamiliar face. She didn't know most of the baristas there, only Bolin that obviously wasn't working today.

Korra rose a brow in confusion once Asami set down a fresh cup. She took the mug into her hands and studied the substance inside.
"How'd you know my order?" She asked, looking up to Asami who seated herself back down again.