Chapter 9

Korra wasn't sure how she did it but the room was quiet for once. It only costed her a sore throat and practically all of her energy but at least her headache could calm down a little. Her students were all sat around their desks, a quiet smile on their faces with paintbrushes in their hands, brushing away at the paper in front of them. How she got into this situation? Korra had no idea.

The screaming and shouting became too much and before she knew it, she was basically ordering these kids around like they were new recruits at the station. She borrowed a whistle from the gym and used that to shut them up, and to her surprise it worked.

The idea of painting came from the odd splashes of red that were still on the walls from her first day. Knowing that these kids liked that sort of activity, she quickly set them all up with paper and paints in front of them. They got to work right away, throwing paint on the paper to make a colourful mess.

Korra didn't even care if they trashed the whole room, as long as they did it quietly she was fine with it. She took a stroll around the desks, peering over at their.. 'works', trying to figure out what they were actually painting. Maybe they weren't even trying to create anything, just simply enjoying slapping different colours onto a sheet of fresh white paper.

She did come across some kids that were trying.. key word 'trying', to paint some sort of animal. It consisted of a large circle in the middle of the page with 4 straight lines coming out of the bottom of it, obviously serving as the legs. But there was no neck, no head, no ears, just 2 dots and a curvy line to create a smiley face in the middle of the circle.

"What's this?" Korra asked, trying out her 'friendly' smile that she had been practicing.

The artist of the masterpiece looked up to her teacher, a few specks of paint on her cheeks.
"A dog."

Of course, yes, a dog. Korra flashed a genuine smile.
"Oh really? Do you have one?"

The child nodded continuously.
"Yep!"

"I do too!" Some other kid yelled from the other side of the classroom. Sooner or later the whole room begun to explode into chatter.

Korra groaned and brought the whistle, that dangled around her neck, up to her mouth. She blew hard and the whistle blared, silencing them all.
"Alright, alright. Too loud." She announced for what felt like the hundredth time today.
"So most of you have dogs then?"

Most of the room nodded. Korra took a note of who didn't. Tikkani was one of them.

"Do you have a dog Miss Smith?"

The whole class faced her, curious of her answer. Korra chuckled and sat herself down at her desk.
"Yes I do."

Their faces lit up in excitement, Hiro, however looked quite smug. He already knew this information and he felt quite proud that he did. He pointed his thumb to his chest and smirked to the rest of his classmates.
"And I've seen it."

Korra raised a brow at the boy who was now getting a lot of attention. Questions were thrown at him left, right and centre, asking him what Korra's dog was like.
"She's really fluffy!"

Korra chuckled and shook her head, listening in to their conversations. The whistle didn't need to be blown again, the volume was bareable. For now at least.
"You have to bring your dog in Miss Smith!" A little girl yelled, earning a few shouts of agreements from her classmates.

"I don't think I'm allowed to, sorry." Korra responded. As much as she wanted Naga here she also didn't want to get a smack from Tenzin.

"You are! Mr Bo brings his ferret with him all the time."