Chapter Fourteen: Cold Sweat

Paperjam felt cold, the area around him being completely dark. It was too dark for him to see anything. His body felt painful and heavy.

"You must run..." A rough voice whispered, frigid air hitting the small skeleton's ear.

The ink skeleton winced, his body beginning to shake. That cold air hurt, it almost felt fire ironically.

"No... He will catch you, if you run..." A softer voice murmured, sounding older. "You must be like the Hunters... Do what they have done."

Suddenly the room became a light in a blue fire. It was far too hot, yet at the same time it was far too cold.

The child finally was able to roll onto their belly, staggering to their feet. The world seemed to sway like it was on a swing in a breeze.

PJ groaned, his legs feeling like jelly. Still, he pushed through, trying to push through the fire and haze that surrounded him.

"You cannot run... He'll catch you."

Jam shook his head, trying to quicken his pace, but he swiftly found himself on his back. The room didn't stop swaying, tossing him around like a rag doll. Yet, when he landed on his back once more, he found himself in the old basement again. In front of the furnace.

Without even meaning to, the child screamed, trying to move away from it as once again that twisted creature crawled out of it. Why was he seeing it again? Why now! Why here!

The creature reached out a rotting, human hand that had a few fingers dislocated and pointed in odd angles. It gargled on the air, clawing close to the child.

Paper continued to try and move away, but his body felt so heavy, so weak. All he could do was cry and scream.

"Sshh..." It whispered, soon towering over the weak child. Its hole, lifeless eyes stared down at the other in a hungry sort of way. "Don't scream or else he will come." It gurgled, its human hand numbly stroking the child's face.

"N-No!" The supposed shout was pitiful and soft, only making the creature giggle a demented laugh. The child closed their eyes, forcing themselves to scream the name of the monster that was forcing him to live through all of this. "Fr-Fresh!"

The world shifted again, throwing both beings around, but the twisted monster fell back into the furnace while Jam fell onto his soft bed. The child broke down into sobs, tightly closing his eyes and curling up.

"Paperjam..." A soothing voice whispered out, a gentle feeling forming on the child's back. "Jammy, please wake up."

The ink skeleton gasped some as he bolted up from laying down, sobs falling out of his mouth. Quickly his body was turned to the side, which was a good idea as not even a moment later, he vomited.

The burning sensation wasn't pleasant or fun, it was rather painful.

"Here, drink this." Something cool was offered to the younger, who quickly did as told.

A cool liquid slid down his throat, dulling the burning sensation and calmly bringing him to the moment.

Gentle, magenta eye and soul stared at him with love and care, but worry was there as well. He had noticed the little one tossing and turning, whimpering, but... It was when they called  out his name that he knew they were having a nightmare.

The child sniffled softly, finishing their glass of cold water. Fresh gave them a sweet smile and took the glass away. They were still sick, but at least they were awake now. At least they were awake...